Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Show off your studio Jay W Harper at home

Tagged: 

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 year ago by Jay W Harper.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jay W Harper
    Participant

My name is Jay Harper. I’m currently based in North Carolina in the US.

JWHarper wideJWHarper Mix Position

Born and raised in San Diego, CA, I grew up in a musical family. Fell in love with recording at a local community college on an Otari 1” 8-track machine with some nice mics. Worked my way through school in live sound. Worked at a studio in LA after college for a few years. Didn’t like the area. Moved to the San Francisco Bay Area. Couldn’t afford to stay. Did several audio-related jobs in Colorado for several years. Been in North Carolina with higher education for the last few years.

• DAW of choice: Pro Tools (been using it since 1994). I can also work with Logic and LUNA.
      • Genres you primarily work with: I’ve worked in just about every genre. I feel most comfortable with Jazz, Rock, and Classical. Would like more experience in pop/r&b.
      • Favorite Plugins: Any plug-in which sounds good on whatever project I’m working on at the moment.
      • Gear List (doesn't  have to be 100% complete!): Yikes… a couple of dozen mics from sE, Sennheiser, EV, Shure, CAD, M-Audio, and more. UA Apollo interfaces. A few channels of clean preamps. A couple of channels of custom preamps. Nice speakers. Apple M1 Mac Mini. Ubiquitous lava lamp.
      • What Equipment do you have your eyes on currently (full list): Matched Pair of AKG 414 XLS.
      • Any other cool things about your studio we should know? This studio is our one car garage which also serves as a band rehearsal room, college study room and guest room. There’s a bunch of old gear, too, which gets used sometimes. Mostly, the Ampex 354 machine will get used to transfer family tapes. The Panasonic 3700 is getting some archival use now. There’s a Crown DC300a amp which needs about 10 minutes to fully charge the filter capacitors before it can pass clean audio.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.