Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Studio Building / Acoustics John Brandt: Acoustics & Studio Design Q&A Is it worth buying compressed high quality mineral wool...

Tagged: 

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by John Brandt.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    pask74
    Participant

... or would the simple, cheap fluffy one do just fine?

John Brandt
      Participant

Pask74,

All that stuff has its uses.

What do you need it for? Where are you planning to put it. It depends on placement, use, and of course, what you expect it to do.

Cheers,
        John

pask74
        Participant

In corner bass traps, for instance.

John Brandt
          Participant

Deep traps require LOW GFR fibers. So use ONLY the fluffiest lightweight fiberglass, like attic blanket or Loft roll. Hang it, don't compress it.

Cheers,
            John

Magnus Johansson
            Participant

Great, another thing I would have done wrong. Fluffy it is. I guess I should use the heavier compressed stuff inside wall structure to stop sound coming in (or out)?

John Brandt
              Participant

Mange,

Not in wall cavities. The dense stuff WORKS in wall cavities, but not as good as the lightweight fluffy stuff... so you might as well save your money! Unless you prefer to use paper money for wall insulation.. a LOT of people do! And the myth goes on and on and on! I have this explained fully in my doc, "How To Find How Much Isolation You Need". It's on my Resources page.

The rigid (dense stuff) can/should be used in these places only:
                1. As thin absorption panels on walls where only limited absorption is necessary.
                2. As a membrane-type front surface for deeper, fluffy-filled traps. The rigid creates a nice smooth finish to the fabric covered traps as well.

Cheers,
                John

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.