Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Studio Building / Acoustics Integrating a subwoofer in a very small treated room.

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by timmymac.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lukemacneil

Hello.

Im in a small 12x12x8 room, filled with 4" fiberglass panels (6" in the corners) and a cloud over the entire ceiling. There is physically no more space in the room for additional treatment. I find that generally, my recordings and mixes translate fairly ok. Whenever I incorporate a bass though, its a problem. It never sounds right and I always spend waaaaaaay to much time trying to fit it.

Ive been considering adding a subwoofer thinking maybe it would help me hear the 80-150 area a little better, but I don't want to incorporate something thats just going to make my situation worse. Subwoofers are heavy, so its not something I want to order and return.

Is this a good idea? Would a sub, or more importantly a crossover taking load off my monitors even help in that area?

Thanks.

Luke

timmymac
      Participant

I'm no acoustician but a square room is not really good. You may have some nasty nulls from the room modes that even a sub won't help. Have you analyzed your room with RoomEQ Wizard? It's free! I'd do that and then move speakers and listening position around until you find the best position. Also you'll probably need to add even more bass trapping. My room is roughly 12x16 and my corner traps/waveguides are I'd say about 2 feet deep to the corner. Makes big difference with low frequency response. Much luck to you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.