Academy Dashboard Forum Production Music Business How long to quote to mix a 10 song album?

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Warren Huart.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    auntiebeeb
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I've had a request to mix and master an 10 song album for a new client and it's the first album I've been asked to quote on and I wonder what sort of turn around time is normal or reasonable to give as a guide.

I can give 3 full 8 hour days a week plus a couple of hours each evening to the project and I'm guessing that the track counts are probably around 30 per song. The genre is alternative and has been recorded live, I don't anticipate drum samples or any editing/ tuning will be required. It SHOULD be straight forward! (famous last words)

Any opinions welcome.

Cheers

Sara.

Kip
      Participant

how much is your time worth?
        do you want the project...are you exited by the band
        i did a band for free once because when i went to see them live i wanted to by there album and they didnt have one
        that was 10 years ago and they have been my best clients since
        i did a favor for another band gave them mixing for free rented drums guitars to help with the tracking...was not the best experience
        i finally figured out people will only value something they have a little blood and sweat in
        my day job is concrete finishing
        so i will charge enough to cover what your day job does for overtime (how long have you been turning around your plap mixes?im logging maybe 6 hours before i post for feedback)
        if you like the project cut them a deal
        in peak season i wont do anything for less then 60 bucks an hour that is what my contract says for any thing over an 10 hour shift only during summer(you will be working after work)
        most winters i have off or very light duty just my hourly rate is 30 to 20 for the good guy price im a sucker for a sob story
        or if i want it free
        basicly i have a prices that reflect if i want the job(this is how contractors bid jobs around here for construction)
        when busy or the job is gonna be a pain in the ass ...well it will have to be worth your while...when things get slow prices will drop

im sure this is not that helpful to you but im not feeding my family with this so i dont have to depend on the studio

Jonathan Kuehling
        Participant

Hey Sara, if you're still on this site, I was curious how this project turned out.

auntiebeeb
          Participant

Hi Jonathan

Yes, I'm still around. Sadly, It didn't amount to anything and I'm yet to mix an album, I seem to be getting mastering jobs and only single songs.

Thanks kip for your advice, that's really useful

Warren Huart
            Keymaster

Hi Sara, that is increasingly happening. Most of the 'big guys' have got themselves into a place where they just mix singles and most artists/producers mix the album and then singles are cherry picked and given to Mixers. The best way to garner work is to be involved as you possibly can! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.