Academy Dashboard Forum Production Music Business How important is it to have a Pro Tools rig?

• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hcmgmusicdude.
Viewing 13 post (of 13 total)
  • Author
    hcmgmusicdude

Hi everyone,
      I have used a DPS24 for the last 10 years producing demos and complete albums. A machine truly unequalled. It has some of the most awesome AD/DA's and Mic Pres ever made in one box. However, just before the DPS went down for good (dead motherboard), I had decided to get into a DAW and chose Reaper. Reaper is an awesome DAW for the money and taught me many things. A year and a half and two full length albums later, I decided to make the move to PT. Not only did I go from Reaper to PT, but I went from PC to Mac, a harsh learning curve to say the least. But, it has been only 2.5 months and I am totally convinced I made the right decision. PT is intimidating at first, but the quality is superb. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that you do have to open your wallet. Plugins can be expensive and the program itself is not cheap. For instance, Reaper has a free awesome pitch correction plugin. To get the same on PT I have to spend a minimum of $250 US. However, I just finished my first complete mix of a song I wrote and demoed on the DPS. I was able to use the power of PT and although I still have much to learn, I must admit, the tracks sound great and the workflow was very logical. I keep Reaper on my Windows laptop, but I probably will never go back. There is a reason it is apply named PRO.

Viewing 13 post (of 13 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.