Academy Dashboard Forum Production Music Business How do you find work?

• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Gauthier.
Viewing 13 post (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Gauthier
    Participant

Hi Timmymac,

I might be wrong, but I believe that new potential clients need to see some equipment.
      Even if it's hired equipment...for a project.
      It has to be more than a bedroom with a Macbook pro and a pair of budget speakers.
      A picture is worth a thousand words. We need to be heard and seen in context.

M.Christensen (Engine Room Audio) :
      'If you dont have the upper echelon gear, people dont want to even talk to you about the big projects..'
      'Having good ears and knowing what you want to accomplish are the main things, but there's obviously a big
      difference between mastering on a ProTools rig and doing it in a fully-outfitted facility''

I used to have blogs with link to my website. Ultimately I realized that my mixes and equipment were not on par with
      the work and image of successful mixers. No matter how I advertised myself, the content was not strong enough to generate interest.

Let's say I had the traffic but no sales.
      So now I am working on my mixing skills and compare (reference) my work with professional mixers 24/7.
      and yes...it's painful ;-(......but small progresses are made (hopefully).

The advantage with PLAP is the quality of the songwriting that goes into the sessions. It's excellent.
      Showcasing mixing skills on poor performances and/or mediocre songs (structure , lyrics, arrangement) will reflect negatively.
      (As if we were not good enough to work with pro musicians). In that case the 'before and after' sample is essential.

So basically, new potential clients coming to a website (via: Youtube, Blogs, Adverts, Word of mouth, or by contacting them directly) must have the sensation that you know your onions' (quote from Warren ;-)).
      It's a difficult thing to be honest with our skills. In my case I have to go back to the drawing board often.

From my point of view the problem is not the clients, but the quality of my work.
      People willing to pay are looking for talented mixers (Essential) with outboard gear (Desirable).

my two-cents...

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Gauthier.
    Viewing 13 post (of 13 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.