Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing High-pass filter by default a bad idea?

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Maurice Beekman.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tobias Karnetzke
    Participant

Hi,

I use a high-pass filter on almost every track by default. Maybe sometimes not to agressive, but I use high-pass a lot.
      Now I saw a video in which is said, that this is not a good idea. Are you using a high-pass filter by default or only on specific instruments or tracks?

The video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MslNaNafyr4

Thx
      - Tobias -

Mark Warner
      Participant

Hi Tobias,
        I don't always put HP filters on every track but the tracks I don't have HP (Low Cut) filters in the hardware recording chain. For Bass adn Kick I don't HP in the hardware but will low cut carefully to define the regions. I will also use HP LP or band pass filters into reverbs and other FX. Sometimes instead of using a HP filter I will use subtractive filtering to remove low and background noise from microphone tracks. I use what works best for me in a given situation. Hope this helps. ATB Mark

I just watched the video and I agree with "don't high pass by default". Only do it for a reason and never at a default frequency. Yes I high pass a lot but the frequencies are not fixed they depend on the recording and the instrument.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Mark Warner.
        Tobias Karnetzke
        Participant

Hi Mark,

thank you for your answer, this helps me a lot.

- Tobias -

Maurice Beekman
          Participant

Interesting video. When i started mixing i did indeed have de EQ filters for every track pre set with a high pass. It was the easiest way of controlling the low end. But it's true the mix can easily sound thin and high. Nowadays i never use defaults settings for EQ and Compression but i do have presets i use a lot. When i start mixing the kick for explample i use the preset and go from there.

Maurice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.