Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Studio Building / Acoustics Guidance to room treatment/speaker positioning

• This topic has 7 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Guido tum Suden.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nuno Martins
    Participant

Here's some pictures of my home studio, as I told Warren I would post it here.
      I think you can get a 360º perspective of the room, so you can give me some advice on room treatment and speaker positioning. The 5" monitors will be replaced, new Yamaha HS7 6.5" new ones are on their way.

Any first thoughts?

• This topic was modified 6 years ago by Nuno Martins.
      • This topic was modified 6 years ago by Nuno Martins.
      Guido tum Suden
      Keymaster

Nice little room.
        The ceiling looks like a headbanger 😉

If the sound of the vocals you record is not airy enough you should think about removing the cotton.
        What you could to improve the sound of the room (if it needs improving) is putting lots of books in all those empty shelfs.
        Put them in in different depths. You will get very good diffusors.
        Diffusors are mosten often a better choice than absorbers.

Guido

Nuno Martins
        Participant

Thanks, Guido.

The vocals sound good, the point of the "cotton box" was to avoid some early reflections on the other side of those shelves behind the screen.

Nice tip on the books. My worries were about the angle of the ceiling, that it could influence the sound being at that angle.

Guido tum Suden
          Keymaster

I won't think so. If anything it's good not having parallel walls.
            But maybe you have to try (sound wise) to turn the table by 90° and then move it to the left (of course only if the sound gets better :).

If you think about first reflections…
            http://webblab.sk/images/first_reflections/first_reflection.gif
            (1st reflection from the ceiling is not shown but as important as from the walls)

Now, before you apply any acoustics treatments your speakers and you as the listener should sit in a position were all 1st reflection will sound hopefully the same. That will possibly not be possible in your room, but maybe you can find a space for the table with an equal distance to the left and right side and where the ceiling does not tilt from left to right.
            If you turn the table the 1st reflections from the ceiling will be the same from the left and right speaker.
            And if you then move a little bit to the left so that the distance to the shelves is the same and have books in the left and right shelves you already have a good 1st reflection diffusion.
            You then can also move the speakers further apart so that you can build the typical equilateral triangle.

Nuno Martins
            Participant

Thank you, so so much, Guido. 😀
              I'll try it and show you the final placement.

Nuno Martins
              Participant

Hi Guido, followed your advice. Let me know what you think.

Nuno Martins
                Participant

Just one more to show you distance from the wall.

Guido tum Suden
                  Keymaster

Hi,

it certainly looks placed more logical now.

The main point, of course, is: Does it sound better? Has it become easier to mix?
                    I also think it looks more comfortable 🙂

Guido

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.