Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Guidance needed...............

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Guido tum Suden.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Darran Buckley
    Participant

Hi, I need some guidance as to where, as a mixing novice, I should begin building up my production/mixing skills.
      I have been involved in most things musical for at least 40 yrs but that was mainly playing and basic home recording. Initially using a single tape recorder and then moving on to my first Fostex 4 track, I then moved into digital recording in the early 90's, initially a combination of either a computer DAW or the various digital recorders I've owned, I sold my last, a Tascam 32 track only last year to concentrate on I.T.B. production/mixing.
      I have a little bit of knowledge about a lot of things plus I have a decent collection of gear that I'm happy at the moment with but now I need to focus on building my skills and confidence up.
      Like I said, I have a lot of basic skills but what foundations should I lay to build upon?
      Thanks!!

Guido tum Suden
      Keymaster

Hi Darran,

That sounds familiar.
        Get the tracks of a song you like and mix them (Multi Track section).
        At the same time, watch videos to get an overall feel about how things are often done ITB.
        Get feedback on the mixes you did (Feedback section here), tell us where you encountered problems so we can makes suggestions and at the same time watch videos about those problems.
        See that you mix a song per month (or more).
        As always with lots of things you will notice a change in knowledge and hearing over time. Take that time.

Guido

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.