Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing getting that rasp

Tagged: 

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Nick D..
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Charles Monteiro
    Participant

Warren, or anybody,

many tenor type male vocals lack that rasp that a particular type of song seems to call for, curious as to what are the go to approaches you (Warren) or others (you all) have.

I generally think EQ and blend in saturation/distortion , maybe subtle phasers/flangers all blended back with the original processed for other reason lead vox

What do you all do ?

thanks

Warren Huart
      Keymaster

Hi, Chasm! I definitely like to use saturation! I find the Decapitator honestly the best all around solution for me! But I LOVE the Klanghelm MJUC, the way it saturates is really musical so I would experiment with taht as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDnYTJ4rDzM Of course if you're in Pro Tools Sans Amp is very often a go to for me! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren.

Charles Monteiro
        Participant

yeah, I like Decapitator a lot as well, but that's the way you make up for rasp or add rasp. Was thinking today of what could be done with Melodyne for that.

Nick D.
          Participant

the iZotope multiband exciter is great for this. Each band is adjustable in frequency and level and you can adjust the mix level (parallel style), it lets you dial in right where you want the rasp/ distortion and is probably my go to all the time when I just want a little more. IF you run multiple instances back to back you can use different saturation types for different bands that way, so setup the frequency bands, copy the plug in series and then just add the type of distortion you want for just that band, so say on the first plug add the tube type on the high band, on the second plug add triode distortion on the mid band, and the third plug add tape on the low band. Sometimes different types sound better over certain frequencies, but in iZotope 5 you cant select different types for different bands within the plugin, I don't know if you can on the newer versions.

My second favorite for vocals is the vertigo VSM-2 available from plugin alliance or UAD, but its awesome on everything.

Charles Monteiro
            Participant

I have Ozone 7 but not advanced as I had planned to use it for mastering, Exciter is included. I suppose I can add it to any track but its heavy. Alternatively I have FabFilter's Saturn which is a multi band saturation plug, I have played some with it on vocals but not taken the time to fine tune i.e. which band gets what type of saturation and how much. I think what might be also key is saturation at band but with some sort of modulation. Saturn does this but I have also not taken the time to learn how modulation dynamically affects the saturation.

I keep bumping into the Vertigo, thanks for the feedback.

Nick D.
              Participant

There should be an adjustable look ahead feature in Ozone, and that is where a lot of the processing comes from (at least on the older version). adjusting that can really take some of the CPU heaviness out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.