Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Getting picked guitar timing right...?

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by peter.soton88.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tim Morris
    Participant

My pal is coming in next week to do some acoustic stuff, now I know from previous work that his timing can be a bit off and I will be looking to pull some bits back into sync...how would you guys do this?

Arthur Labus

I did something like that manually by cutting, moving and fading.
        Now, with Reaper, i can create "transient guide markers" and move them to "proper" position if needed.
        It is kind stretching. Works really well. Hope you can find something similar in Studio One.

Tim Morris
        Participant

HI Arthur, yes there is an audio transient check and bend tool which I think does the same thing, I just dont really know how to use it !

Arthur Labus

You can check that video for Reaper, just to get the feeling 🙂
            https://youtu.be/GRO-ecLZqmw

Tim Morris
            Participant

Found what I need for Studio One !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG_QTY-F5kE

Arthur Labus

That's cool ! Almost the same 😉
                I am actually forcing live recorded song into click track. Lot of work and fun after all 🙂

peter.soton88
                Participant

Hey!

Divide song into major parts and let him record multiple takes into each part. Then do comping like u would with vocals. Some parts always repeat anyway. Just dont fidle with preamp gain in between takes and make sure your friend doesnt dance around with guitar in front of mike too much so u keep consistent tone accross different takes.

Alternatively ask him to practice it well before recording.

U can do occasional punch in. U can also manualy shift notes around in Reaper, thou it depends on whats recorded it may sound odd...

😉

peter.soton88
                  Participant

Another technique I somethimes use as I play guitar myself is using drum loops unstead of click track.

Majority of people are use to play in live band but not with click.

If I have song with no drums I pick up ready "beat" from EZdrummer 2 and record to it. Make sure its got right timing and feel. Then if I dont need these drums I delete them.

If u have song with drums do drums before guitar.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.