Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing German "Castle" drum samples

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Tal Pipkin.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tal Pipkin
    Participant

Just a quick question as to the best technique to utilize the recent "Castle Drum Tracking" samples with Slate Trigger. I have tried loading them up, however they are VERY low in volume. I am sure I have missed a step somewhere along the line or maybe it just cannot be done this way? Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated! Take care and thank you in advance!!

Guido tum Suden
      Keymaster

Hi Tal,

when you're preparing drum samples for a sampler, and you have several velocity layers, the sampler is doing the velocity changes.
        That means, all samples have to have the same loudness.
        Let's say you want to make a snare sample with the 5 velocities that were recorded. You first normalize all of them, to 0 dBfs or to -6 dBfs, or whatever you want the loudest sample to be played with, when you play it with velocity 127.
        If you now prepare one sample with full velocity you can play it from very soft up to the recorded loudness. If you build a sample with several velocity layers, it's exactly the same, only you get to hear an excerpt in the velocity you set.

This is how it works with the EXS24 and Alchemy, so I guess other samplers will work the same way.

Guido

Tal Pipkin
        Participant

Guido,
          Makes TOTAL sense and MANY thanks for your reply/explanation.I will approach this a bit differently then. Take care and thanks again!!
          -Tal

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.