Academy Dashboard Forum Production Digital Recording Fuzz Plugins ?

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Paul Motion.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tony Loignon
    Participant

Hey Everyone,

Was wondering what PLUGINS some of you use to create a heavy fuzz type distortion on your guitar tracks.... similar to that made by an EHX Big Muff Pi... for those who are not familiar, Cherub Rock - Smashing Pumpkins use that. Also, below is a backing track with a filthy sounding fuzz effect.

https://youtu.be/11jleyghFRE

I can't seem to recreate that within Studio One's native plugins, nor with any of the amp plugins I have.

Thanks for any leads....

Tony

Paul Motion
      Participant

Hi Tony, the Soundtoys Decapitator is pretty popular, (I use this a fair bit), as is the Sansamp but that's obviously PT specific. I also use the Brainworx Rockrack. There's a free version which still gives you access to the amp simulations but doesn't allow you to change any of the parameters. There's a free distortion plugin from Klanghelm, the IVGI, which has a really nice tone.
        If you wanted to go for an outboard pedal you could do worse than the Big Cheese from Lovetone.. there's a new version of it called the Cheese Ball. Not sure what that sounds like but if it's anything like the Big Cheese then I would say epic.
        I've also been getting into the Dimebag Darrell collection in Amplitude from IK Multimedia...

Hope that gives you some tips! 🙂

Paul

Tony Loignon
        Participant

Thanks Paul.
          I have some of those and they are good for smoother distortion. Unfortunately, the Decapitator at $200 is too pricey for me. I'll have to look into Amplitude. I do have that and have the Octavia and MXR Blue plugins which are nice, but add a little too much lower frequencies. I love the grittiness they both give though and was looking for something closer a normal fuzz face or big muff that can be used for chords on a rhythm track.

I appreciate your recommendations very much though.

Tony

Paul Motion
          Participant

No worries Tony. I hear you on the Decapitator.. I managed to get it on a crazy deal.. I think I paid $49 for it. Bring on Black Friday deals!

Best of luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.