Academy Dashboard Forum Production Recording Techniques First time recording live drums

• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Markus Hofer.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mark Martinez
    Participant

Hello everyone, hope you're all having a great day. So i am doing my bands ep, and this is the first time that im doing live drums. I am using a basic shure 5 mic pga kit, a sennheiser dynamic for the hihat, and a mix of two different condencers as over heads (a avtone c12 and a samson co1). I know this isn't the best set up but its what i have/can afford at the moment. Any way soloed the mics dont sound bad at all, even the over heads, but together i have having the bleed of the snare in the toms being behind just enough to bother me. I have tried side chain a compressor but its still noticable. I have also tried using time adjust but that just messed up everything else. The issue seems to only be with the tom mics. I made sure the the over heads where in phase with the snare. And side chaining on the kick solved it. Can anyone give me some advice one how i can resolve this, or at least make it less noticable. I also have to mention that the room i am using is pretty small and i cant do any permanent acoustic treatment, again i know its not ideal but its what i have to work with.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

• This topic was modified 5 years ago by Mark Martinez.
      Jason Davenport
      Participant

Hi Mark,

Have you tried using a gate? A properly set gate can control bleed very effectively in most cases. You could use that in conjunction with your sidechained compressor to get rid of the majority of it. If that doesn't work, you could edit all but the tom hits out of the waveform, that is tedious, but effective. Volume automation could be another way. Hope this helps!

Mark Martinez
        Participant

Thank you very much Jason, i didn't not even think about using a gate. I will try that out, and let you know how it goes.

Jason Davenport
          Participant

Glad to help Mark!

Matt Graham
            Participant

How'd you make out with the gating?

Matt

Mark Martinez
              Participant

I worked out great, but have to play with the release a bit more. Thank you for asking. Though i think i am having some phase issues, everyrhthing seems to sound a bit thin.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Mark Martinez.
                Matt Graham
                Participant

would love to hear your completed revisions!

Good times bud!

M

Niki Pichler
                  Participant

Heho Mark,

good tipps from jason here. i personally don't like gating it because i give up a bit of control. (one release for every hit) normally i mute the toms (the bleed in the toms is always a pain in the arse xD) by hand everywhere they dont play and fade out when suited. if you wanna have a more natural method it would be volume automation for me. but this is only my style and opinion ^^

i normally completly mute it because the snare normally induces some harmonies an ring on the toms and i don't wanna have this kind of sound at all ^^

let us know the result!

cheers, Niki

Markus Hofer
                    Participant

hi,

you can sampel the toms one by one
                      and replace them later in the project

if i dont have sampels made
                      i use drumleveler - i think its by sound radix
                      works great

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.