Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Event Opals or Sonarworks and high end calibrated headphones?

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Paul Annis.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paul Annis
    Participant

Hi, years ago now I used to own a pair of Event Opal studio monitors which I really enjoyed! They had to go along with other bits when the studio went, presently I’m using a pair of KRK vxt6 which I’m not to keen on. Very poor magnetic shielding and they are becoming noisy in use. I know the Opals are no longer in production but I’m very tempted to try and pick up a pair second hand (still around £1300) or am I better off going the S’Works software route and so high end calibrated cans? My room is pretty dead acoustically as I record the drum kit in there, it’s not big enough to get a room sound in there so I went the other way and try to emulate room ambiance in post. I like front ported monitors just in case anyone has any other monitor suggestions ?

cheers

Paul

face (chris) Janton
      Participant

I would suggest that you look into the Kali IN-5 monitors AND Sonarworks AND a nice set of reference headphones. Less than the pair of used Event Opal

No idea of the size of your room, but the modern-age nearfields have to be better performers than noisy 10 year old designs 😉

Paul Annis
        Participant

Funnily enough I ordered Sonarworks 4 a while ago and gave up on it arriving and cancelled the order, but it arrived this afternoon LOL Just done a quick setup, pretty impressive! I find the holding the mic bit a little strange but it makes sense with the number of measurements taken (I use DIRAC Live in my home cinema). Totally transformed the KRK's, obviously won't change the noise issues with them but they will do for a while now. Ordered a calibrated pair of cans as well so looking forward to hearing those.

I thought the Opals were really impressive when I used them before and found them very easy to use without ear fatigue, they were only noisy (low hiss) when they didn't have a signal going through them. The low end on them was brilliant, I will investigate the Kali's for sure though.

Cheers

Paul

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.