Academy Dashboard Forum Production Recording Techniques Electric guitar and gridding

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Niki Pichler.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Larry Gude
    Participant

Hello all,

I'm doing guitar and bass on a pop/punk project. The guitars are fairly aggressive, greenday-esque, using bias amp for tone through pro tools. It will all go off to professionals for mixing and mastering.

Q; how important is gridding and is there an easy and quick way to grid? In short, I'm sloppy but getting better and more comfortable playing with click, but it's taking a lot of work to grid me.

I've been using PT for about 6 months and can set up the basics but my skill level is pretty much beginner.

James Gorman
      Participant

For pop punk it's medium important. Don't worry about the click, get the parts synced with the drums and the right amount ahead or behind.

Not really a fast (good) way except learning your tools. I do it be ear, pick the track that sounds most out, then line that up. Rinse, repeat. You could probably use the auto-gridding in PT, but it'd probably also suck a bit and kill all your feel.

For guitar my usual technique is if a part sounds off, line up the emphasis notes first (typically them one, but it might be different), then line up the rest. Split notes before the attack, make sure the cross-fade is clean. Sometimes you'll need to stretch or loop a note to get it to fit. Not sure about this in PT, but you'll have an easier time if it's the DI and you can use the amp to cover up any artefacts.

Niki Pichler
        Participant

heho,

for me gridding guitars is a no go! if you grid your guitar it has no feel left and to be honest gridded guitars sound much like midi programmings. try to listen carefully what sounds off and make a correction only on this parts. be aware when you make the correction and you wanna put a note to a beat transient or a grid line you have to put the loudest part of the note on the grid not the beginning! (a normal guitar strokes starts with some pick noise and a buildup to the transient and the real transient should be on the grid)

mostly its just practice practice practice! there is no short cut... just record all the time and correct your recordings until you can do it by heart!

cheers, Niki

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.