Academy Dashboard Forum Production Production Techniques Drums replacement - plugins, samples & workflow tips

• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by David Allen Hammond.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Arthur Labus

Let's talk about drum replacing - all that small things we need to do it right ...

David Allen Hammond

I'll be downloading the Trigga3 and maybe the Drumagog 5 demos today or tonight. I might try the Slate as well, love the transient shaping features. For sounds I've been using the Air 'Structure' 'Vacuum' and 'Expand2' as well as Lots of Reason instruments, patches and loops, and Arsenal. I can't wait to get these replacement plugs under my fingers.
        I'm hoping the Trigga3 does a good job of identifying the transients, looks like it has pretty good control. Will report back. David

Arthur Labus

In fact, i am programming drums. Replacing was brand new zone 🙂
          I did it with Reaper - there is an option to slice the hits and replace with samples OR generate MIDI notes.
          It needs some treatment by hand, but finally i got midi drum track with all that precious dynamics from original.
          So i was able to do some touch ups and play it with round robin layered samples.

David Allen Hammond

Wow, just watched the intro video for Reaper, what a great DAW, so intuitive. Pro Tools is miles behind this in simplicity. Now I'm scratching my head, thinking, should i try it.

Kip
            Participant

the only way i know how to do it right now is with cubase ..detect hit points, turn into midi...then i use addictive drums or groove agent to replace samples ...it works..
              if i had more money i would try trigger or drumagog but funds are short

David Allen Hammond

Hey Kip, I am going to download the Trigga3 and see if it works well. I'm tired of spending so much time mixing my drums from the studio to sound like what I'm hearing in the Academy mixes.

David Allen Hammond

Tried a demo of Trigga3, didn't strike me as right for my application, then downloaded demo of Drumagog5 and wow, really easy to use and pretty sophisticated. I was able to quickly use Warren's samples as well as the demo samples and worked pretty well. I'll try more of the features and let you guys know. Thanks for all the helpful info.

Arthur Labus

I am think, if you going to "replace" the drums, you have to go with multilayerd samples.
                    For example: snare recorded 16 times at different "velocities" - also hitted from gentle to hard. So the choosed/needed hit sample has a relationship between "feel of the hit" and volume.
                    Round robin is a routine between, giving you one of, for example 6, different hits for the same "input".
                    So it is not exactly the same sample !
                    You can use simple samples as well in parallel with live drums, but replacing is all about enough diversity.

Guido tum Suden
                    Keymaster

In Logic you hit Ctrl-D and get a drum replacement tool.
                      It works quite well.
                      Logic also has dozens of single Kick and Snare samples including a lot of body only and transient only samples.

David Allen Hammond

Thanks Guido,My girlfriend has logic on her computer, might check that out.
                        Hey Arthur, I think the drumagog samples are all layered, not sure of it, but when you play back audio through the plug-in it gives you lots of options of multiple hits, which can be manually added or let the software build them. I'll be checking out the features today. Also, most of the time what I want to do is add to the acoustic drum parts I play in the studio, that way I can blend some real sounds with the samples and make them richer and add a better room feel. But, I hope I can actually build entire tracks with just samples too, as well as crazy soundscapes.

Cris Sabater Sabater
                        Participant

Hi guys, for Drum replacement in Studio One 3 I use Impact. It is an MPC style plugin that comes with Studio One. I drag samples to the pads on the plugin then use Melodyne which is intergrated into Studio One and then drag the midi file of the samples to the appropriate area on the arrange page. I can then bounce these to audio files and they line up exactly with all the other files or I can nudge them if wanted while they are in midi format. Great workflow as it does not get in the way! Cheers. 🙂

David Allen Hammond

He Cris, that sounds cool. I don't have melodyne, I'm working in Pro Tools, I have another week left on demo of Drumagog, am going to download AD Trigger today and try it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.