Academy Dashboard Forum Production Recording Techniques Drum Recording Advice

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by ChrisW.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ChrisW
    Participant

Hi, I just got a stereo mic bar recently and have been trying out some recording using XY technique, and just got a snare mic clip today. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on the topic. I'm recording in a very small room and seem to be getting some noticeable delay in the overheads. The walls of my room are pretty well treated and I have a few foam tiles above the kit, but maybe some more would help. Any pointers or advice would be a great help.

Thanks,
      Chris

ChrisW
      Participant

PS. I'm using Dynamics as the OHs and on the snare. Here's a version without the close mics.

Martin Østervig Larsen
        Participant

I'm not really liking the snare sound and the hat is a bit loud, otherwise, I think it sounds fine.

It's normal for the OH's to be delayed compared to the close mics as the sound simply takes longer to reach them. It's usually not a big issue but if you want you can delay the close mics a bit to be in phase with the OH's. Warren does this often.

I'm not hearing a lot of bad room tone either. If you want you can create a fake room with a reverb using the OH's.

Best,
          Martin.

ChrisW
          Participant

Thanks for the feedback Martin. I guess I should've clarified that the delay I meant was the sound of the open hihat being played on the back beats, which is jumping from one side of the speakers to the other.

Also I agree the snare could use some tuning haha

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.