Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DIY DIY website

• This topic has 8 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Parrish.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Parrish

Html and CSS is super easy to learn. I highly recommend having fun with website design, rather than opting for a template. Here is the current incarnation of my website. I just uploaded it, and I felt like sharing 🙂

http://www.sourpussy.org

Thanks!

• This topic was modified 8 years ago by Parrish.
      Anonymous

Yes, designing a CSS-based website is super fun. It's not that easy, however, because learning both HTML and CSS takes time. I've built CSS-based sites from scratch typing up all the code by hand and it does take considerable time, plus you have to do cross-browser testing to make sure your site works on most browsers.
        Great start to the website, Lara!

Parrish

Your right Rosti 😉 I'm just saying that if you have the will, its not hard to deconstruct the code and figure out how to do things from scratch. Anyone can do it. You just need to know a few basics about structure.

Parrish

Okay, I have to confess. I've been using the same code for a couple years now, just altering it from webpage to webpage depending on my design. Which is kind of like a template.

But something I just discovered, which probably isn't big news for professional web developers, but you can copy and paste code from websites, which can be a good place to start if you don't have all the style and structure memorized.

timmymac
            Participant

I've built some websites a long time ago manually writing all the html and JavaScript. It was fun but now I find that using WordPress with a theme pretty much handles everything I want in a personal website. And there's no programming necessary, unless you want to.

Parrish

Hey timmymac, I guess it depends on your style and how involved you want to be in the creation process. And obviously there is tonnes I'm unknowledgeable about when it comes to programming. In my opinion, I just think you have more creative control when you know a little code. WordPress sites are great, and even my husband, who is a professional graphic and web designer, uses WordPress. But he'll still alter the code.

I just thought I'd bring up this topic in spirit of DIY. I think there is a lot of potential for web design, and we tend to get stuck in what we are used to seeing.

timmymac
                Participant

Yes, that's what I like about it. You can get into the code if you'd like to!

Parrish

I thought I'd give a quick overview as to how to go about creating a website for someone with very little knowledge about websites.

1) Copy code from a very simply designed website (I recommend mine, because it is very basic)
                    2) Paste the code into notepad (for windows). I'm not sure what the Mac equivalent is.
                    3) Save the code as index.html file and put it in a folder, let's call "website". You'll also need to save any images and put them in a folder according directions given in the code. For example means image1.jpeg needs to go in a folder called "image". Save the folder at the same level as index.html, in the "website" folder (if a folder is necessary).
                    4) Go to your file directory and find index.html in "website". Double click and see if the same website that you copied code from appears in your web browser.
                    5) Try altering bits of code and then saving it. Refresh webpage to see the effects.

This is just the very basics but I think its a good place to start figuring out how to do html and css. There are other languages that are used in web design that I'm not very knowledgeable about.

http://www.csszengarden.com/

This is a website that gives examples a very nicely designed websites using only html and css.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Parrish.
                    Parrish

The broken image symbol ***"image/image1.jpeg"***

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.