Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DIY Dilemma: stripping a Tascam DM24 or not??

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by John Gleason.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Until 10 years ago, I used a Tascam DM24 with a meter bridge (optional) and 2x TDIF expansion slots, which were my ADDA converters. I used a PCIe RME Digi96/52 card in my computer. This setup gave me 24 inputs and 24 outputs. I mix hybrid for 10 years now and I like it. However, I want to upgrade my analog console partly with motorized faders. Knowing that the DM24 has 17 (working) motorized faders (16channels + 1 master), I can do two things:

- Strip the DM24 to reuse the faders and keep the other parts (PSU, XLR board, display, etc.) for other projects or
      - Selling the DM24 and the setup and buy newly motorized faders for the upgrade.

What do you think is the smartest/most cost-efficient thing to do?

Thanks for the advice.

Kevin

John Gleason
      Participant

I understood from your post that you haven't used the DM24 for the past ten years and that you now want to get back into hybrid mixing, right? Do you actually have a use for the parts from the DM24 (including the motorized faders) and what are the recovered parts actually worth to you? Any other value would have to be gained from a lot of parts sales over time on ebay or such. Sounds like a hassle to me. I would opt to sell the DM24 setup as a unit and use the proceeds towards the purchase of whatever newer console you have in mind. As always, YMMV.

One problem you may have is that DM24 parts, consoles and meter bridges are fairly common (on ebay) and asking prices vary widely. You might want to check out completed sales and see what the actual prices are and how long it took to sell.

I use what might be called an integrated hybrid mixing approach between the DAW and the console where some functions (i.e. EQ, gain, panning, duplicate tracks, reverb etc.) are shared back and forth. Automation stays in the DAW, so I don't use motorized faders.

John

face (chris) Janton
        Participant

new version? Tascam Model 24 22 Channel Live And Recording 22 x 24 USB Mixer

Kevin
          Participant

Hi John & Chris

Thank you for your reply, really appreciated.

It is not that I have not used the DM24 anymore, but let us say maybe 4 times in two years or so for multitrack recordings on location. In my studio, I mix hybrid (if the budget allows it). I switched to an analog 56 channels SPLINT console 10 years ago. Before that, the DM24 was my main studio console and DAW I/O. I like to have 16 channels automated on my analog console so I can stem out eight stereo tracks from my DAW. If needed, I insert hardware (parallel) processing, Apex Aural Exciter, Distressor, Fuzz pedal, whatever. That is why flying faders are useful to me. Furthermore, for programming strings, for example, it just works more intuitive for me, and faster too, if I can record commands like vibrato, bowing, expression, volume, etc. with hands-on faders. I am an electronics engineer as well, so I know exactly the modifications that I need to implement so that I can record fader moves in my DAW and vice versa.

What is the DM24 worth for me? Well, actually, that was my question (Lol). I paid that thing including all the options +/- 10.000€ incl. 21% VAT many years ago. I see that these mixers go off on eBay for 500€ or so. So, to be honest, I do not know. I should say 2000€, but I realize very well that nobody will ever pay me that much.

I can buy a set of five new motorized faders from the Behringer X32. These will cost me 100$ incl. VAT. I think that this is the best option, but then I still have that DM24 in a flight case that never gets used anymore.

If I strip the DM24, I can use the faders of course. I can use the display as a replacement for a DM3200 if someone needs a fix or for a side project like a frequency analyzer on the masterbus. The PSU is from a linear type and has +5V, +11V, +3,3V, -12V, and 0V. That is always useful for other projects. The same with the meterbridge, XLR & Jack chassis connectors, but that is quite it. All the rest like the motherboard, EPROMS, chassis, push buttons TDIF expansions, etc. is good enough to throw in a trash bag and that's a bit sad, to be honest...

John Gleason
            Participant

It sounds like the faders are the only parts you could really use yourself. 5 new faders for $100 makes 16 used faders from the DM24 worth maybe $250 at best -- the whole unit is worth $500 or more, sooooooo .........

Best of luck. It is always nice to have options (including putting the DM24 back in the closet). You can always take the faders out 'temporarily' for your current unit and put them back in the DM24 for sale in the future.

John

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.