Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Pro Tools Cubase vs Pro Tools

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by John Gleason.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Walker
    Participant

Hi all...

I'm currently running Cubase 8 Pro, and have been thinking about pulling the trigger on the upgrade to v10 Pro. Or, given the amount it's going to cost me, would I be better off getting the standard version of Pro Tools (it's about £60 difference)

I have heard people saying that these days, Cubase and Logic are right up there with, if not better than, Pro Tools (although Logic crashes, apparently?). But Pro Tools is still the industry standard...

So I'm looking for objective opinions... I'm running a 6-core Mac 5.1 with 16Gb RAM and OS is Sierra, if that makes any difference...

Thanks so much in advance!

Chris

John Gleason
      Participant

I'm not sure that anyone can give an objective opinion on this -- it depends on your set-up and personal preferences. Like you, I run Cubase Pro 10 (which I highly recommend). But Pro Tools is the "professional" standard, especially if you move between studios. What I really miss is not being able to download Pro Tools templates. However, I much prefer the Cubase user interface, the documentation, the support and the capabilities. I run everything in the studio at 96kHz/24-bit. Regular Pro Tools limits you to just 64 tracks at that rate -- not enough for my mixing desk. So I would need Pro Tools Ultimate, more hardware, and a lot more $$$. Cubase Pro can run as many tracks as you want, even at 192kHz, limited only by your computer.

My suggestion is to download Pro Tools First (it is free), check out the interface and play around a bit. It is limited to just 16 tracks so it can't do much. It can run on the same computer as Cubase and does not need an iLok device. If you work in an environment where others use Pro Tools, then you might need to switch just for that reason (and to understand their terminology!).

As always, YMMV.

John

Chris Walker
        Participant

Brilliant - thank you John - that's just the kind of advice I was looking for!

John Gleason
          Participant

Chris, my pleasure. Let us know what you decide.

John

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.