Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Academy Lesson Suggestions Creating with MIDI

Tagged: 

• This topic has 7 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by face (chris) Janton.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Keith Fels
    Participant

I've been going through a lot of Pro Mix Academy videos and I've spent a lot of time watching PLAP videos, most were incredibly informative. It might be more of PMA thing to really get into it but you could do basics of how to create a midi track with a controller, writing by hand or any of the many other ways to add midi instruments.

I would love to see PMA courses on a more in-depth midi program. Maybe one on all of the Toontracks stuff, another on adding horns/woodwinds/strings etc to a track.

I know a lot of people in the live chat talk about MIDI being like the dark arts of music and would love to have a better understanding of how it works and could work for us.

face (chris) Janton
      Participant

I use Logic Pro X for my work. There are literally thousands of YouTube videos that approach the making of MIDI tracks in various ways. "MusicTechHelpGuy" has produced some excellent tutorials.

Not sure which tools you want to use.

Have you watched the video with Steve Maggiora using SampleTank? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV_5CKqzwMA
        Multi-tracks available as well.

Keith Fels
        Participant

Well sure I have googled videos and done some basic midi myself but they are asking for suggestions on academy lessons here so I thought it would be a good topic for it. Also, sometimes I just want the soothing sounds of Warren's voice to explain things to me. ?

Also I do think a full multi hour course at Pro Mix Academy would be popular.

face (chris) Janton
          Participant

That would be the Steve Maggiora video from last week for a start. Are you looking for DAW-specific or MIDI in general?
            What's your DAW of choice for doing MIDI work? I have some great "incubators" on my iPad - GarageBand, SampleTank, a full DAW - Auria Pro.

Keith Fels
            Participant

Okay, you aren't getting the point of Academy Lesson Suggestions. They are asking for thing people are interested in learning. There has been a lot of discussions lately about understanding and programming midi. I also think a full master class in producing with midi would be helpful as a lot of the Pro Mix Academy courses are.

Yes, I can spend endless hours searching and watching random videos and I'm sure eventually all my questions would be answered but it seems this particular forum topic is to get our feedback on how to add more content to our Academy Lessons section. I appreciate your help however that isn't what this topic is about.

face (chris) Janton
              Participant

...and you could at least provide a starting point for where the MIDI training might focus...MIDI in ProTools is an entirely different beast than in Studio One (new version has some tasty MIDI things added) as opposed to Logic, etc.

A suggestion of "MIDI training" is great. A little bit of information to help focus on some aspects would help.

MIDI is a protocol. It defines how commands get transferred about, over cables. Making "beats" with MIDI is a production thing that kind of depends on the tools at hand...

Just wondering where one should start if one is interested in "MIDI courses".

"Creating with MIDI" is like saying "Creating with cursive script".

Keith Fels
                Participant

From my original post.
                  ...but you could do basics of how to create a midi track with a controller, writing by hand or any of the many other ways to add midi instruments.

I would love to see PMA courses on a more in-depth midi program. Maybe one on all of the Toontracks stuff, another on adding horns/woodwinds/strings etc to a track.

I wouldn't want to go into more exact details as I don't know what particular skills Warren or whoever would be doing the Lesson have and really I would enjoy learning any part of it.

face (chris) Janton
                  Participant

that's unfortunate - the forum ate my reply

better left that way - MIDI is a bunch of note-on, note-off, move-this-knob signals. Nothing to do with conceptual creation of sound.

There may be people here in the academy that have skill and knowledge about MIDI that might be useful to you...can't know if you won't narrow the scope down from "MIDI".

sigh

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.