Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Academy Lesson Suggestions Creating Analogue Warmth On A Digital Recording

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 11 months ago by PURPLE MUSIC PRODUCTIONS.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Darren John Loczy (Dazzle Rebel)
    Participant

Like many here, I record and mix 100% in the box with the only analogue part of the chain being a vocal microphone and the monitor speakers or headphones. I would love to have a lesson on creating analogue warmth on such digital recordings and what's more I have a suggestion for a song to test it on, Black Water by the Doobie Brothers.

I could imagine the test making use of the vocal excellence of McKail Seely and having all the instruments recorded directly to the DAW with no amps. Even the kit should be an electronic kit or programmed drums. This song recorded this way would be the ultimate test of creating an analogue-sounding recording in a 99% digital realm.

What do you think?

Daz

PURPLE MUSIC PRODUCTIONS
      Participant

From my experience in order to achieve what you are looking for, you may need to invest in a budget friendly/economy mic pre or compressor and running elements of your tracks through it like an EFXs send/return. Some of the saturation plugins like ones by Fabfilter saturn, black box by Brainworx or some of the tape/tube emulators will give you some of that distortion/harmonics. You may have these type of plugins for free in your DAW, but the results and your mileage may vary. The plugins will not give you the complete analog warmth like real gear itself as it will not be as 3d, but also will not sound so sterile either.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.