Academy Dashboard Forum Production Music Business COVID-19 -- Music Business (producer/engineer) Impact ????

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Javier Alejandro Llamas.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tony Loignon
    Participant

Greetings PLAPAs,

As you know, the current situation has forced us to rethink how we will be working for most likely the next year(s). Many artists and bands have already had more time on their hands today than ever before. Making this a prime opportunity for them to produce, record, and publish their new songs.

Probably like most of you, we face local city, county, or state court orders that have limited open businesses to only essential. Music production and recording studios are not considered essential and cannot be open for business.

I propose we share ideas and solutions to how we can overcome the impact of the virus on the industry. Ultimately, how can we continue to earn business without putting ourselves or our customers at risk... and remaining legal within current restrictions placed by the courts.

Here are a few questions I have ... feel free to add your own:

1. If you were recording vocals/bands, how are you doing it now?
      2. If running a home studio, how are you doing business and protecting your family/self?
      3. What communication tools (Skype, zoom, FaceTime, etc) are you using to work with clients on their productions?
      4. What can we do to help artists?

Thank you for sharing your solutions and ideas. Lets make PLAPA members rule the music scene!

Kind Regards,
      Tony

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by Tony Loignon.
      Javier Alejandro Llamas
      Participant

I think the worse part of this impact would be taken by the live music industry, along with the musicians, and just behind them, the rest of the industry, including Studios and everything else. Why? Well, because i think the musicians themselves would take most of the impact without concerts (and there won't be much money or interest to pay for serious recordings, that's my guess).

I have read an article about how the coronavirus is affecting Abbey Road Studios, really interesting.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/coronavirus-music-industry-live-music-album-releases-impact-latest-a9449641.html

I think the didactic sites, or teaching music, or home studio techniques, and stuff would be the way to go, but it's also uncertain. I really think that, in order to helpĀ  the artist, YouTube should be in the need to change some things in their policies in order to allow the small artist could get a better monetizing of their music.

The main problem is (and will be) the musicians: if they are already in trouble, is just a matter of time the rest of the industry would also be in serious troubles. They already said that the last thing to come back would be the music venues, even the small ones.

It's gonna be really complicated, i'm out of ideas.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.