Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Pro Tools Cloud Collaboration

• This topic has 10 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Steve A.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jared Sherman
    Participant

Anyone just get Cloud Collaboration and want to try testing it out with me?

Anyone also have thoughts on how they rolled it out? I am very disappointed in their storage options which are waaaay too low.

Pricing and availability:

Free (included with Pro Tools 12.5)
      Create up to three cloud-based projects
      Collaborate with up to two additional Pro Tools users (per project)
      Get 500 MB of total storage space

$9.99/month*
      Create up to 5 cloud-based projects
      Collaborate with up to 2 additional Pro Tools users (per project)
      Get 20 GB of total storage space

$24.99/month*
      Create up to 10 cloud-based projects
      Collaborate with up to 2 additional Pro Tools users (per project)
      Get 60 GB of total storage space

Steve A
      Participant

I'm open to some collaboration, sure. Just out of curiosity, what level of membership are you thinking of getting (or already have)?
        I agree with you about the low storage, but that's AVID for you, isn't it? Typical.
        I have a pretty busy week coming up, but next weekend looks promising...
        Let me know what you have in mind, and I'll gear up and focus for working, soon.
        Cheers
        -Steve

Jared Sherman
        Participant

Awesome! Now I need to find out how this thing works and how I find you within Pro Tools to collaborate! I don't even know what info I would need to give you to be able to find me at this point. Do you know yet? I can look for the info myself too. As for the Collaboration subscription, I was just planning on doing the free membership level at least for now. I already pay $399 per year for HD updates, I have little interest in adding on to that cost! Of course I could possibly reconsider if the Collaboration thing really ends up becoming a really important, valuable and vital tool.

Magnus Johansson
          Participant

What differs from this new Avid collaboration from the "old" Gobbler one?

Steve A
            Participant

@ Mange: I have no idea.
              @ Jerad: Free sounds like the level I'm interested as well, as I've just spent a bunch on plugs and a mastering suite.

Jared Sherman
              Participant

@Mange the new Avid Cloud Collaboration is far more integrated than anything I have ever seen. It is built right into Pro Tools - you should check out the video series about it to really find out the nitty gritty on it. It actually does look really cool: http://www.avidblogs.com/get-started-with-avid-cloud-collaboration-for-pro-tools/

@3rdstone If you check out that video series above, or at least the first few, it would probably be enough to get you started on Cloud Collaboration. In Pro Tools you have to go to File->Sign In then sign in to your Avid Master Account. Then go to Window->Artist Chat. Once there you create your screen name. My screen name is "jared.sherman" you can add me as a contact (that invitation is open to others on this forum as well. Find me on Pro Tools Artist Chat or let me know what your screen name is via this forum.

Magnus Johansson
                Participant

I'll check that video out as well as some more info on gobbler as I'm not primary on pro tools.

Jared Sherman
                  Participant

Another cool thing about the collaboration is that you don't necessarily share the entire session (though you can), but more often than not they just need bits and pieces. Like, on the video, if you just want someone to play a bass part for you or whatever, you just freeze the busses of say drums, vocals, synths and guitars and then the bass player gets a notification about that, downloads them, they appear directly in the collaboration projects, and then he has plenty to use to make the bass track.

Then when they are done you get a notification and that bass track is then brought straight into the session. Working this way makes me think that the storage sizes are actually more reasonable than originally thought, because using a lot of storage wouldn't be necessary at all with that workflow. That is unless the FULL owned session always must take up cloud storage regardless of what is shared - but I guess I may need to try it it to find out the answer to that.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Jared Sherman.
                    Steve A
                    Participant

OK, I'm finally off work (yes, Saturday..Ughh)
                      I took a gander at the first few vids and it seems simple enough..*fingers crossed* I'll be sure to look for you when I log in..
                      I like the fact that a small clip can be shared, as I really lose my creativity if a tune is all mapped out for me. I'm a writer/collab partner by nature, and partial clips help keep the pre-determined stuff at bay, and allow me to create unencumbered..
                      Let me know what the next step is...Do you have an idea/riff/melody you would like to work on, Jared?
                      Cheers
                      -Steve

Jared Sherman
                      Participant

@3rdstone sorry I didn't catch up with you last night. We will have to try another time. Add me on your Pro Tools contact list. Have you made a Artist Chat screen name yet? I'd like to add you as well. As far as ideas, I do have several things that I could offer up for collaboration.

Steve A
                        Participant

No worries, I'm in no hurry here. But I will add a chat name, and add you to my list sometime tonight.
                          I think I'll continue to use 3rdstone if that's within whatever guidelines AVID has...

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.