Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Clip Gain Vocals?

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Guido tum Suden.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Studio6TFour
    Participant

Question for everyone - generally speaking is your workflow to perform clip gaining on all your lead vocal tracks, or do you do you manage gain primarily through automation and compression? Clip gaining does produce a great result for my workflow, but it takes a huge amount of time and frankly gets a bit monotonous. I'm also wondering if part of it is because I'm using Logic Pro X, which doesn't have the same slick clip gain tool that ProTools does...

Doug

Mark Barden
      Participant

Hi Doug
        You can mix a whole session with clip gain if it works for you, I agree It can be a little monotonous - It's very useful for de-essing before having to grab the de-esser plugin.
        I use a mixture of all techniques you mentioned in a session - I would start with a little clip gaining in the overly dynamic sections - you'll find you need less compression on your track - your compressor will have less to do. I would grab the mouse or fader and dial in some automation at the end for level, feel / vibe.
        I find using a little of everything is a good way to go, but whatever works for you.

Mark.

Guido tum Suden
        Keymaster

Hi Doug,
          yes, it would be nice to be able to change the gain directly at the clip in Logic and not have to move your mouse all the way to the left. I just thought, maybe I could put a controller fader on that function or maybe there's a way to do it with Logic Remote?
          I mainly use clip gaining for whole parts, rarely for words or syllables. Sometimes I use Vocal Rider but mainly I use three different compressors on vocals.

Guido

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.