Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Pro Tools Clip gain trim between tom hits

• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Tony Corona Orona.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Macdonald

Hopefully someone can help me out. I am looking for a method to adjust the clip gain on multiple tracks. Or perhaps a nice clean start to finish process for reducing the amount of kit bleed in tom tracks.

My theoretical approach is to tab to transient and cut all the tom hits out, use the object grabber to highlight them all, and then use some sort of global adjustment quick-key to pull all the clips gains to the desired level at once.

The only issue is I cannot seem to find the right combo of keys or some other way to adjust the clip gain across multiple clips at once.

If anyone has a good workflow for this I would be grateful if you could share it with me because manually pulling down tom bleed is enough to want to make me pull my hair out, lol.

Cheers,

Jeff

Chris Sweet
      Participant

Can't speak to PT, but in logic there's a function called strip silence that does this. I imagine PT has a similar function. Are there so many tom hits that you can't manually cut around them?

Jeff Macdonald

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion! I am familiar with Strip Silence, but what I am looking to do is attenuate the bleed rather than remove it completely. In Pro Tools it looks like it's all or nothing, Strip Silence seems to just find transients over a threshold clips around it and deletes everything else.

I have 4 tom tracks and a drummer that plays a bit like Keith Moon to deal with at the moment, so the manual attenuation on section at a time is going to take quite a while. I'm over-all a pretty lazy person too and would prefer to automate everything that isn't fun to do.

Steve A
          Participant

Just a quick search over at DUC brought this up> http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=339958

Jeff Macdonald

Thanks 3rd stone. I actually discovered a similar thread once I figured out the correct name for what I was trying to do and discovered DUC. It appears that 'clip gain - view' is the magic word.

I have a decent workflow now if any one is interested I'll document it, or try to shoot a small video walk through.

Cheers, and thanks for the help.

Jeff

Tony Harp
              Participant

Great post! I've also been wanting to figure this out!!!
                Thanks, 3rdstone

Chris Sweet
                Participant

Yeah I badly wish logic had a clip gain function like in Protools. You can adjust gain by region but it's not as elegant.

LeoA
                  Participant

I know I'm a bit late to this post and not sure if you found what you needed but I found that when you highlight(select the section in the edit window) then using the smart tool you can bring the the clip gain on all those select at the same time.

Tony Corona Orona
                    Participant

I you haven't seen this, I highly recommend it. I believe it answers your question and much more. Lots great tricks in this Warren video.
                      https://www.producelikeapro.com/video/how-to-record-lesson-13-basic-automation-in-pro-tools/
                      -TC

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.