Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Blame it on the Whiskey - levels?

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Andrew Mckenzie.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    echoes
    Participant

Hey all,

I am starting my first mix of one of the multitrack sessions - Blame it on the Whiskey.

I've noticed that the imported tracks are very hot...many of them going into the red leaving me no headroom.

I'm not sure how to deal with this. For the time being I have placed a volume/gain plugin first in the chain on nearly every track to bring them down. Is this the best approach?

Thanks!

Andrew Mckenzie
      Participant

Hiya mate, I'm not sure what the best way to deal with it in Reaper (haven't played with it for a while) but if memory serves....you should be able to bring down the track level by hovering the mouse over the top right of the track until you see the up/down arrows....then click and drag the level down so that it peaks around the -18 mark next to the fader control with the fader at zero. (you can adjust it on the fly while the track is playing). That should give you some room to play with but adding a trim style plugin at the top of the chain can also be useful to make sure you don't clip into the top of the chain.

There's another thread about peoples mix flows further down that might be worth the read as well.
        Cheers.....Andrew

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Andrew Mckenzie.
      Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.