Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Auratone 5C

• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Charles Monteiro.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Charles Monteiro
    Participant

Warren

Did you ever include these in your setup ? I have purchased their modern reincarnation i.e. the Avantone Mix Cubes (passive) and will be setting them up soon. If you have used them just wondered if you had insights / thoughts to share in how you referenced with them.

thanks

thedove
      Participant

Hi Chasm

i'm not Warren "unfortunately" ! but if you are interested I use a single active Avantone as a reference and, despite still being a bit of a beginner, it has really helped improve my mixing because if it a mix sounds ok through that (ie everything is audible) it usually sounds ok generally.

Cheers

C

Charles Monteiro
        Participant

right, have not set them up yet but I imagine that there's the temptation to try to boost subs for example, so I already have a mental note to not bother EQ -ing below 90 hz , but rather to improve the presence of sub instruments by working on overtones thru a MaxxBass , or making sure one hears that bass click etc, same deal on the high end, Maag EQ Air boost at 20 and 40 khz, won't do a thing , well maybe the 20 khz will since I thing the Maag 20Khz boost is a shelf thing, anyhow its just insights along these lines , something that I may be missing in using these as another reference context

thanks for the feedback, I am looking forward to using these.

Mike Krowiak
          Participant

Chasm, just saw this. You have it exactly right: the point is not to boost frequencies a smaller speaker can't reproduce, but to make sure sounds at the upper & lower extremes are heard on small speakers. I use MaxxBass for subtle bass extension and saturation (anything from tape sim to Sansamp) for more extreme effects. I like Audio-Assault's Head Crusher Free. Sort of a poor man's Decapitator... 🙂

-Mike.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Mike Krowiak.
            • This reply was modified 8 years ago by Mike Krowiak.
            Kaleb Treacy
            Participant

Hey Chasm. I use a single Behringer Behritone which is similar to the Auratone's, maybe a little cheaper. I tend to have it on nearing the end of my mixing or mastering session and use it kind of like how Warren uses mono, just switching back and forth every now and then checking on elements. I never adjust on them even though I have heard a few pop mixers mix exclusively on a set of them.

Kaleb

Charles Monteiro
              Participant

The king of pop was mixed on them, the story is the Quincy Jones almost exclusively mixed Michael Jackson's
                thriller on these

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Charles Monteiro.
                Charles Monteiro
                Participant

Mobile site editor a bit weird

pask74
                  Participant

Hi just installed a pair of Auratone 5c in the studio.
                    Not sure they'll be that helpful, honestly. It's like putting a severe low-cut on your mix. They sound surprisingly well in the frequencies they let through, though.

Charles Monteiro
                    Participant

That's the point, make you mix sound good on them

dSalat
                      Participant

Hey guys!

I also have one mono Behritone, pretty cheap and awful sounding compared to nearfields.

I got it after reading 'Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio' (awesome book, everyone should read it) and, from what i understood there, the point is that this little cubes don't reproduce any low-end nor high-end, so you can concentrate on the mids -that is, where the money is, for most music.

This way, you can preview the translation your mix will have, if kick and bass can be heard on smaller speakers, if the snare-vocals relationship is fine, or if any other midrange-y instruments are masking each other.

For me, i constantly go back and forth between my main speakers and this, not just to check mono compatibility, but translation and midrange clarity. However, main processing is usually done in better monitoring, specially compression.

Apparently, there are also other advantages, as there is no crossover frequency, less room impact on playback, keeping your ears fresh and such.

Hope that helps!
                        dani

Charles Monteiro
                        Participant

I use them in stereo
                          Avantones

Charles Monteiro
                          Participant

I should say as well
                            Check mono as well

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.