Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Audio Interface

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 months ago by Axel Freimuth.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Axel Freimuth
    Participant

Hey everybody, I'd like to have some help and opinions on buying a new audio interface. Currently, I am using the Steinberg UR-RT4. It works well, but I wonder, whether I should increase the quality and also get some more Mic channels. Therefore I think about buying the UAD Apollo x8p heritage. Is that a reasonable step? Is it a substantial increase in quality? Are there better choices? I' appreciate your comments. Thanks, Axel

PURPLE MUSIC PRODUCTIONS
      Participant

Hi Axel, the Apollo would definitely be a major step forward from the current interface. I know those can be a boutique, so are you going brand new or used? From my experience the Apollos have a somewhat darker not as high-five, but warm tone than something like RME(very clean and pristine) or The Focusrite Clarett OctoPre. I have those two in my rig, but I have used the Apollo before. Without knowing your budget, but I would recommend RME and if needed an xlr patchbay for extra mics if needed. However, if you are already vested in the UAD ecosystem and need 8 mics out the box then the Apollo would be the option at least until all of UAD goes native. Rme makes an 8 mic version, however the cost of admission to the dance is not for the faint hearted. I hope this helps or at least gave you something to think about.

Axel Freimuth
        Participant

Thank you very much for the feedback. Actually, one reason that speaks for the Apollo is the access to lots of pretty attractive plug-ins (including various compressors, the Pultec EQ, ...) that are included in a special offer that is currently available. I suppose that these could be used in recording without producing too much latency and also in  mixing thereby saving computer cpu. I will make a detailed comparison with the RME and the Focusrite.

Axel Freimuth
          Participant

Bought me a new interface today, RME Fireface UFX III. I think it was a very good advice to go in this direction. So again thanks for your advice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.