Academy Dashboard Forum Production Analog Recording Allen and Heath GL4

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Victor Ciampini.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Victor Ciampini
    Participant

Excited to finally incorporate an analogue console and some outboard gear. Recently I had the opportunity to try a smaller format 16 channel mixer (Midas DDA 16 something or other) to bring a mix "out of the box" I couldn't believe what a difference it made to sum the mix thru the mixer and print a 2 track back on to pro tools. Also adding some eq on the mixer and pumping up the incoming tracks a tad with the mixer pre's helped as well. Anyhow within a week of that I picked up a nice Allen and Heath GL4 24 channel board (and a few outboard reverbs including a Yamaha SPX90 II) which although being mainly a live FOH or monitor board is also configured for recording with direct outs, 8 subgroups, 10 aux send, on and on and some matrix thingy that I haven't quite figured out but nonetheless routing is all there. And a nice lighted meter bridge with analogue VU's, talkback mic, console lamp etc. I look forward to applying to my own and some of the produce like a pro tracks. All this just really to lend my vote to the hybrid mixing crowd. Try it if you haven't already!

John Gleason
      Participant

Victor,

I agree completely. I use a Soundcraft LX7II-24 board in my hybrid mixes. It is a general-use analog mixing board that I can load with a DAW template before starting a mix. The mixer channels are already configured for my starting settings for each type of track (kick, snare, bass, etc.), so I find I can complete a first mix more-quickly than in the box. However, the real benefit to hybrid mixing for me has been to focus my attention on my ears rather than my eyes. Staring at tracks and meters on the computer screen was a distraction for me -- now I can just focus on the music. That has also made it easier to use and hear the effect of my limited collection of analog outboard gear.

For anyone thinking about analog hybrid mixing like my set-up: the analog mixing board is just part of the cost -- I have A/D and D/A converters for 32 channels each (along with a lot of cables!). Everything is widely available used (ebay), but it is still a commitment.

John

Tony Loignon
        Participant

Victor,

I second Johns comments about using my ears. what a change since I got my Soundcraft GB8-40. The costs associated are not necessarily something to neglect, however.... I have yet to really emulate with plugins that warm sizzle of saturation that a real analog system gives.

Good luck!

Tony

Victor Ciampini
          Participant

Great stuff John and Tony. Both of your consoles were other ones I had looked at and seem pretty cool as well! The point about listening more and watching less has definitely been noticed as well. And haha wouldn't you know I forgot about an old Alesis ADAT 8 track machine I had kicking around which I was able to connect via adat and add another 8 outputs to my existing 16 so now I'm able to make full use of the console. Life is good!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.