Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Alan Walker - Faded / Vocal-Sound

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Hemke Kay.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Hemke Kay
    Participant

Hi guys,
      in Germany this one is leading the charts at the Moment. I heard it a few times now and I so fell in love with the sound of the vocals. They really have a nice vibe to me and especially this huge vocal-reverb sounds amazing to me, eventhough the whole production is really well done.

Can anybody tell me how this vocal-sound was done? Couldn't find any information about that. I would love to learn something about that.

I'm excited what you guys think... Here is the Link btw: http://youtu.be/60ItHLz5WEA

• This topic was modified 8 years ago by Hemke Kay.
      Guido tum Suden
      Keymaster

This is just a guess: I would say the vocals were sung very soft and then compressed hard because you can hear a lot of air. Since you hear almost no breathing I would say it was edited out (or turned way down).
        The reverb is probably a huge plate or IR. There seems to be a long delay in there, that has a huge reverb on it, as well.
        Melodyne was used a lot and is audible especially on high notes (as if the singer couldn't get there ;).

Hemke Kay
        Participant

Thanks for your answer!
          I was thinking quite similar to that. But I also thought that the reverb must be also compressed in some way, because it's so smooth and even the whole time. Maybe there is also some Stereo-widening going on?! I really like the reverbed-Delay on the vocal! This Sounds so huge and wide... I have to try that soon!!

In this case, do u use the reverb as an insert on the delay return or is it also better to use it as a send so that I can also send other tracks to it?

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Hemke Kay.
          Guido tum Suden
          Keymaster

I don't think that there's any dry signal from delay coming through.
            So, if you use a send from the delay channel you would have to make it a pre fader send and then turn the delay down.
            I think it's easier to have a reverb inserted into the delay AUX and then have a similar or same reverb on another AUX for reverb only.
            Sorry, I'm not good enough to hear a compressor on a reverb but EQing reverb is quite common and I would try that first.

Hemke Kay
            Participant

I also do not hear any compression on the reverb, but since the reverb sounds so present, even and huge it just was a guess 🙂 I will try it out next time 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.