Academy Dashboard Forum Production Recording Techniques acoustic (nylon) guitar (classical)

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Antonio Monterroso.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ruben Cabrera
    Participant

Hi Everyone, I would like to know about mic techniques to recording a nylon acoustic guitar. (classical music)
      thanks.

Guido tum Suden
      Keymaster

Hi Ruben,

it depends on the room and on what you want to record.
        If it's part of a "song" I would probably use a small diaphragm condenser or a large one.
        You either point it to the corpus appr. 10-15 cm right and down from the hole (looking a the player),
        or around the 12th fret, or anywhere else that sounds good but usually not above the hole since that would be too bassy.

Put the mic appr. 30 cm away from the guitar.
        If the room sounds good and you only record the one guitar, you can go further away with the mic. You can also use one or two further mics, maybe one pointing to the upper part of the fingerboard and the other to the lower part of the corpus. Beware phase issues.

Guido

Ruben Cabrera
        Participant

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Ruben Cabrera.
          Ruben Cabrera
          Participant

Well, it's a medium size room, and it's a solo acoustic classic guitar concerto, so, based in your answer, I will try to use an akg c414, a pair of neumann km 184, and see what happen. Thanks Guido for the very good information!

Antonio Monterroso
            Participant

Hey Ruben, how did the recording go?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.