Academy Dashboard Forum Production Recording Techniques Acoustic Guitars, string gauge and pick selection

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Jeff Macdonald.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Macdonald

I am not sure if this belongs here or in the Gear section, so please move it if I have it in the wrong forum.

I will start with prefacing this with I am a drummer and not a guitarist in the least. I can play a few chords but that's the extent of my ability. I am hoping some the guitar players here could give me some input on what string gauges/brands and pick thickness are their go-to for different types of sounds (e.g., rock rhythm, country, finger picked, lead, etc.). Overall, I am hoping to get a list of 'starting points' so I can start experimenting and learning from experience from there.

Thanks!

Jeff

Cris Sabater Sabater
      Participant

Hi jbmacdo3, to be honest it really boils down to what is most comfortable for you. If you play Metal drop C then you will need anything from 11's to 13's just because lighter strings won't cut it but any other Genre it really is up to you. For example Billy Gibbons is famous for his tone and most people would expect him to be playing a heavy gauge. He actually plays 8's!! The tone is in his fingers. Picks again is a very personal experience and I prefer heavy 1.5mm picks but I know some guitar players who like some give from their pick. Ernie Ball 2223 Nickel Wound Electric Guitar Strings 09-42 Super Slinky are the strings I prefer but again I suggest buy a few different brands and see what suits you.

Cheers mate,

Cris

Jeff Macdonald

Hi Cris,

Thanks for the response! I guess I have some experimenting to do!

Cheers,

Jeff

eX Cess
          Participant

I'll agree on this one, there's a huge myth about picks and string gauge and even experienced guitar players I know still think the heavier strings and picks are, the bigger the sound^^
            As Cris said, it's gonna be more about how comfortable you feel than anything because sound is reaaaaaaally in the hands, and that is no myth at all!
            However, if you're talking strictly about acoustic guitars, there are a couple of points you could consider :
            extra-light acoustic strings are 10-47, which is more or less a "light" gauge for exlectric, so it's not that light. So if you think about bending strings for example, you may want to stick to 10-47 or 11-52 max, except of you have Hulk hands of course 😛
            As for picks : for strumming, lighter picks, say 0.65 or a little under, will give you a little more clarity and a little less dynamics (because the pick will bend on the strings), therefore it's more forgiving especially for recording, accents will be softer even if you strum hard. It also gives you this nice sound of the pick strumming the strings, brush if you will, which can be very enjoyable.

This is detail, because except for your hands, the overall sound is the combination of woods, body size etc...

Also, if you try different gauges, don't forget that your neck will move, so each time you change gauge you'll have to survey your neck and work on the truss-rod.

Finally, my own little tip : Once you're set on your gauge, try Elixir strings. They're more expensive but last way way longer than any other strings I've ever used, keeping brightness and being in tune for months, where "regular" strings will be over in 1 to 3 months (I'm not endorsed! but that saved me a lot of money!)

Cheers!

Jeff Macdonald

Thanks for the advice eX Cess. I really appreciate your breakdown of the picks and their associated sound. I had been messing around with some 1mm picks my guitarist left behind and they seem to produce a very hard sound - but then again, much of that is likely due to my inexperienced hands. I am truly fascinated with the interaction of how the items that produce sound interact - much like how a drum stick and head combo (combined with technique and proper tuning of course) can really change how a drum sounds.

I have not yet given the Elixirs a try but I certainly will. I have had some decent luck with Martin SP 10-47s. They sound pretty decent so far! But I will give the Elixirs a shot when these need a change.

Cheers!

Jeff

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.