Academy Dashboard Forum Production Music Business 38 years...almost 39...

• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Anders Larsson.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anders Larsson
    Participant

Hi all,

I'm 38 years old and have been playing and recording music for almost whole my life.
      I found this forum for two weeks ago, and you all seem friendly people. 🙂

My problem is that I lack confidence in music.
      When I was younger I recorded songs, mixed and it did not matter at all.
      Now when I'm older, I have a lot of doubt in everything.
      I know I can make songs, and I know I can mix, but it feels like I watch tutorials more than I do the things I like.
      Please help me to find confidence again. 🙂

Don't know if this is the right part of the forum to post this 🙂

Jason Davenport
      Participant

Hello from Texas Anders!

Welcome to the Academy!

Confidence is key. I think every musician/mixer/artist is to some extent self-conscious of their work, especially when putting it into a public forum. The Academy is a safe place to put up your mixes, and receive feedback without fear of ridicule. Most folks in here are super nice, but honest, and that is what we are all after is honest feedback so that we can improve. I am 45, and understand the doubt you speak of. We are fearless when we are young, but age brings with it caution from lessons learned. I say just grab one of the multi-tracks and give it a go, you won't be disappointed!

plutek
        Participant

well said, jason... and to anders: welcome!

anders, i'll tell you a little story...

as a performer on reed instruments, i see a lot of different musical contexts and styles. years ago, i was asked by a colleague and friend to join a project performing a style of music which i had not been much involved with before. the first rehearsal was a disaster - i felt lost and wondering, "why am i even here?" ...even my friend's wife, listening from another part of the house, said to him later, "is peter ok? i'm worried about him!"

i met with my friend, and shared my concerns and doubts about the project. he thought for a moment and then said to me, "you know, peter, all i need from you is your confidence."

that has become a kind of touchstone which always pulls me out of those episodes of self-doubt when they come along - and yes, we all have them! my friend's point was: you already have a lot of history and experience in lots of situations, and can count on that to serve you well in new musical contexts. also, it is exactly your personal uniqueness - what YOU bring to the table musically - which makes me want you here! it's not about "do you know already how to do this particular thing?" - you'll figure that out in your own way!

so, anders, when you say, "I know I can make songs, and I know I can mix", that already tells me that you have useful experience AND that you are aware of that fact. you don't have to worry about it - we just need you to say, "here i am", and bring what you already have to the table!

just knowing that you DO have some experience, ability, and tools will mobilize you to step up to anything, if you just let it!

Anonymous

39 years old, almost 40! MOREOVER, I HATE THAT DAY THAT COMES TOWARDS ME!

Only thing I can add to this topic is: Do not stop making music. Try to compose/arrange every day and keep pushing out products. Do not hesitate to upload your songs/mixes here in the PLAP community, even if they are not completely finished. From the moment you have doubts, ask a second opinion here and you will be fine!

Ann

Anders Larsson
            Participant

[quote quote=42990]Hello from Texas Anders!
              Welcome to the Academy!
              Confidence is key. I think every musician/mixer/artist is to some extent self-conscious of their work, especially when putting it into a public forum. The Academy is a safe place to put up your mixes, and receive feedback without fear of ridicule. Most folks in here are super nice, but honest, and that is what we are all after is honest feedback so that we can improve. I am 45, and understand the doubt you speak of. We are fearless when we are young, but age brings with it caution from lessons learned. I say just grab one of the multi-tracks and give it a go, you won't be disappointed![/quote]

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for your words.
              As you say, I have some lessons learned thru the years, and this feels like it is a community I will have a lot of joy. 🙂

Thanks!

Anders Larsson
              Participant

Wow! This is really touching and I have never thought about my music in this kind of way.
                I have never felt so welcome and it feels so exciting to be apart of this community.

I have started a multi-track mix and will post it shortly.

Thanks again! 🙂

[quote quote=43001]well said, jason... and to anders: welcome!
                anders, i'll tell you a little story...
                as a performer on reed instruments, i see a lot of different musical contexts and styles. years ago, i was asked by a colleague and friend to join a project performing a style of music which i had not been much involved with before. the first rehearsal was a disaster - i felt lost and wondering, "why am i even here?" ...even my friend's wife, listening from another part of the house, said to him later, "is peter ok? i'm worried about him!"
                i met with my friend, and shared my concerns and doubts about the project. he thought for a moment and then said to me, "you know, peter, all i need from you is your confidence."
                that has become a kind of touchstone which always pulls me out of those episodes of self-doubt when they come along - and yes, we all have them! my friend's point was: you already have a lot of history and experience in lots of situations, and can count on that to serve you well in new musical contexts. also, it is exactly your personal uniqueness - what YOU bring to the table musically - which makes me want you here! it's not about "do you know already how to do this particular thing?" - you'll figure that out in your own way!
                so, anders, when you say, "I know I can make songs, and I know I can mix", that already tells me that you have useful experience AND that you are aware of that fact. you don't have to worry about it - we just need you to say, "here i am", and bring what you already have to the table!
                just knowing that you DO have some experience, ability, and tools will mobilize you to step up to anything, if you just let it![/quote]

Anders Larsson
                Participant

Frankly, I like to be older; the person I am is better than before. 🙂

Thanks for your input, I am so humble and overwhelmed about this...

I will upload a song; I feel confident now. 🙂

Thanks!

[quote quote=43009]39 years old, almost 40! MOREOVER, I HATE THAT DAY THAT COMES TOWARDS ME!
                  Only thing I can add to this topic is: Do not stop making music. Try to compose/arrange every day and keep pushing out products. Do not hesitate to upload your songs/mixes here in the PLAP community, even if they are not completely finished. From the moment you have doubts, ask a second opinion here and you will be fine!
                  Ann[/quote]

James Gorman
                  Participant

I've been a software engineer since I was 19, and I'm now your age. I've worked on open-source software used by several very big companies, published research, built more than one successful product (and a few failed ones). And sometimes I have a terror that I have no idea what I'm doing. And when that happens it's usually because I'm going it alone for too long - which is why this is a great community, and like Ann said you can just upload and ask and you don't have to go it alone :-).

Anders Larsson
                    Participant

Thanks, James!

Produce like a pro is a great community and environment to be.
                      And it has helped me to have fun with music again.

Will upload a mix soon. 🙂

Thanks!

[quote quote=43229]I've been a software engineer since I was 19, and I'm now your age. I've worked on open-source software used by several very big companies, published research, built more than one successful product (and a few failed ones). And sometimes I have a terror that I have no idea what I'm doing. And when that happens it's usually because I'm going it alone for too long - which is why this is a great community, and like Ann said you can just upload and ask and you don't have to go it alone :-).[/quote]

Tony
                      Participant

h

Anders Larsson
                        Participant

Tony,

I don't know where to start; I'm not that articulate like you.
                          All I can say is that I've never met such humble people like in this community.
                          For me, it's mindblowing that you took time and answered me.
                          This is the best thing I've done to join PLAP.
                          Thank you for answering.
                          Thank you for giving me my confidence back.
                          I'm so thankful.

Thanks Tony!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.