Academy Dashboard Forum Production Music Business 2 websites or one

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Maurice Beekman.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Ruby
    Participant

I have run a cinematography/music site for over 26 years but would like to showcase my producing side more. I have been advised by many that a seperate site is better than having it all under one site. I am opening this up to see what you all think about this. One or two. One for music and one for cinematography. Open ears.

Maurice Beekman
      Participant

Hi David,

That isn't easy to answer as it depends on many factors and how you look at it.

From a marketing/promotional point of view: Two sites. Because it's easier two start e.g. google addword campains, newsletters, etc. for targeting the correct group of people.

From a sales point of view: One site. When you tell about your business to your network it's easier to refer to one site in stead of explaining two sites. If you have the two disciplines seperated in two brandnames, two sites would be better. One brand (or using you name) however makes things a lot easier! Like a manufacturer you can have a lot of different products, accessable from one main website.

From a technical point of view: One site. It's easier to maintain one CMS (WordPress, Drupal, etc.). It's also cheaper to have one site.

I would say that one site makes your life easier unless you have two brandnames. And from a marketing perspective two sites would be better. But as you learn on PLAPA, it's really hard to earn your place in the music business. Google marketing campaigns won't change that. Warren has a some good video's about this topic.

Hope this helps a little!

Maurice

David Ruby
        Participant

Thank you Maurice!
          It always sounds better to hear things outside of your own brain. ; )
          I think I will try to keep everything under one roof even though I will advertise say my mixing service as a different name under my domain name http://www.rubymediaservices.com since I believe the MEDIA Services part explains it all? Again I do cinematography; music videos, VPKs, Marketing videos, etc. Which is something that reflects the audio side of course.
          Does this sound ok?
          If I do a facebook ad or google having the mixing service be "blah blah for songwriters" as the ad and have the website link be rubymediaservices/blah blah for songwriters.com would not be too confusing would it?
          Sorry I had to keep verifying this.Never done ads with either socials.
          David

Maurice Beekman
          Participant

As far as i understand from your website you're a film maker and mixer/songwriter. Media services seems to be right. It covers the video services and audio services as your main products. I think a client is interesting in video or audio services, not both. You can make those services more present on your website and a website visitor can zoom in on those services to see the sub services.

But then again, it's no hard science but also taste!

Good luck!

Maurice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.