Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Academy Lesson Suggestions Where do we go from here?

• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Warren Huart.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anders Isberg
    Participant

I've been pondering over this subejct for a while. There seems to be a concensus that the music business has become somewhat stagnant, and that there's not much difference between music released today and the past. That leaves the questions: What do we do to change that? How can we contribute to making music that sounds fresh and relevant? Where do we go from here?

Mark Warner
      Participant

Good question Anders and one I would like to know the answer to as well.

A lot of "new music" that has appeared since the late 80s I don't really like. I would love a new music revolution like Punk again but at my age I would probably not get it, like my parents didn't get Punk.

Cris Sabater Sabater
        Participant

Hi Anders, yes I agree with you here and infact my band are trying to do something like this today. Hopefully we will get liked but you are always chancing your arm when you try to be different! I come from the Punk/early electronic era and we are a kind of hybrid of that I guess but in our own unique style.

https://soundcloud.com/fightingthismonster

Above is a link to our soundcloud page. Have a listen and let me know what you think! We won't be to everyone's taste but we are original. Cheers mate.

hcmgmusicdude

Not so much where do we go, but where are the children going? I read an article in the neighborhood paper today about a company that has been teaching music lessons (guitar, piano, bass, sax or whatever) to kids for the past 20 years. The surprising part of the article was that the owner said that business for teaching kids how to play an instrument has dropped way off in the past five years. He said they are more interested in creating content using their computers instead of real instruments (imaging that) and so they have started offering analog and digital recording technologies classes.

So it looks like the future of music is in the box and I don't have a problem with that obviously. My observation is, what seems to be missing from recorded music these day is a great melody. If you go back and listen to recorded music from the mid 50's to about the mid to late 80's you will find that the biggest hit songs all have great melodies to go with great or not so great lyrics (I love Elton John, but I couldn't tell you half of what is said in his songs). A great melody will make you want to sing along and sometimes get stuck in our heads for days. In fact, and maybe it's just me, but I can't remember a lyric to save my life, but I never forget a great melody. I don't hear those great melodies being created so much anymore and I'm not quite sure why. Maybe someone can explain that one to me. So I say, we need to change things by creating great melodies using a modern format of some kind. Hell, I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old.

camoe

Great thoughts. I too miss a good melody. Chilly Gonzales the pianist/producer complains about this non-stop. His music and the songs he's collaborated on definitely have a melody but it's a rare thing. I think the future of music is the crossing of genres. You hear it more across the pond and I hope the trend continues here. I spend a lot of time working in Holland and they are the best about mixing up genres. I love seeing shows there cause I'm always surprised by what's played and seeing families rock out together ages 7-70 no matter the genre. There's certainly something new and different out there right now. It's just so hard to find it in the sea of tracks on the Internet.

Mark Warner
              Participant

Hi HMCGMusicDude,
                My 9 year old has spent a year learning to use GArage Band. This has lead to her now learning to play drums this year. I did dispare this fact firstly but it seems that exposure to garage band has opened the door she needed to take the next step into music and she is doing it with a years worth of previous knowledge.
                ATB Mark

Warren Huart
                Keymaster

Great conversation! Yes I agree, it is about blending styles! The of the issues I have with current EDM is that it's gridded and doesn't breath. That makes it hard for us to integrate live played instruments that come to life with feel and groove that breaths, it takes a lot of wonderful inventiveness to blend everything. But done well it is amazing! For me, Massive Attack still sounds like the present and the future! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Mark Warner
                  Participant

I maybe way off but in my opinion I have found Bowie's "Black Star" to be an interesting blend of styles although it's not EDM. With sequenced drums in electronic music it is desirable to have that metronomic element but I/we always try to add something to release the harshness. For example not just layering sound but way back around 81/82 we would take a machine loop and record a live drum along with it as an accent. A snare, tom, timpani or similar. These don't follow the main patterns but are accents and fills and off beats. It made electronic drums more alive and being played the timings could be way out sometimes but that was ok.

camoe

Good point about 'Black Star' I agree that it encompasses many styles. Bowie always pushed the limits of genres and always seemed to reinvent himself and his music. We need to discover the other Bowie's of the world.

Massive Attack is another good example that Warren mentioned.

I remember hearing the band Us3 in the 90s and thinking how brilliant their music was blending hip/hop and jazz. They had one big hit and unfortunately the hip/jazz didn't quite take off back then. I still think those are two styles that can mix well.

Warren Huart
                      Keymaster

Yes agreed, Bowie just kept pushing the boundaries! I loved that he returned to amazing musicians. His journey with programming in the early mid 90's was great, but I loved the return to great performances on Black Star. Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.