Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk What signal levels to expect from a keyboard line out?

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Chin Shin Wong.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chin Shin Wong
    Participant

Hi,

I own a Roland FA-06 and since the documentation says the line outs are balanced, I'm running the line outs into my audio interface line inputs (no preamp) without going through a DI box. The signal I'm getting from it is rather anaemic though. If I play normally with the keyboard's volume knob dimed, I'm getting about -30 to -25 dB registered on my Presonus Universal Control meters, -20 dB if I whack the keyboard really hard. I've gain-staged all the rest of my audio devices to register roughly around -12 dB so this is making it difficult fo me to properly mix my keyboards in.

Would anybody be able to tell me what's the signal level to expect from a keyboard that's reasonable? I'm not sure if the signal level is really lower than what I should expect or if I'm just running all the rest of my devices too hot. Alternatively, I can just run the signal from my keyboards into a preamp and boost up the signal but I wanted to get some advice on this first from others.

Thanks, Wong

JJ Wright
      Participant

One thought, are you using TRS or TS cables to connect? Theoretically if the outputs are balanced you should be using TRS cables, and I believe I've encountered situations where using a TS cable in a balanced jack caused low output issues.

Chin Shin Wong
        Participant

Thanks, I'm definitely using TRS cables.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.