Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk What are the best Drum Machines

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Jay Peters.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Keith Bowman
    Participant

Hey its Keith here. I want to get some opinions on which Drum Machines are the best

Arthur Labus

Hi Keith !
        I know we are here in "gear" forum, but maybe could you ask a bit more precise ?
        Real hardware or software ?

Keith Bowman
        Participant

I am looking for the hardware type. But would be open to some software suggestions as well. However I do want the best hardware I can afford. I am looking for under the $1,000 price range.

Arthur Labus

Ok, so i am out. I am doing drums in the box only ...

Keith Bowman
            Participant

I am thinking about the Boss DR-880 but would like some thoughts on it and other Drum machines as well.

Warren Huart
              Keymaster

Hi Keith, I realise that I too only use software these days. With a good USB keyboard that has pads as well, combined with great drum software I don't find the need to use a drum machine anymore! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Jay Peters
                Participant

Hi Keith,

I bought an M-Audio 'Trigger Finger' few years ago, nice bit of kit with the ability to apply it as a VST instrument in my DAW using various sample kits. These days I rarely use it, due to my Novation Impulse keyboard which gives me 8 trigger pads on the device.. if i'm feeling the need to tap something in and trigger some samples.

If you're in need of a particular sound like the Hip Hop classic EMU SP1200 you can probably find most classic drum machine sample libraries and produce them how you want in the box; so I would look at options for triggering drum samples from one of the many software choices out there like 'Battery' , Addictive Drums etc.

"The times... they are a changin"

All the best
                  Jay

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.