Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Using powered pa speakers as client monitors

• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Magnus Johansson.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anthony
    Participant

I have been thinking about using some powered DSP PA speakers as client monitors in our studio.

https://avecorp.com.au/product/ave-ultra15-dsp-15-inch-powered-speaker/

The frequency response is 30hz to 20k.

We only have Focal Alpha 65's which are great as near field monitors but lack the power as client monitors. They are flat out getting 80db in mix position let alone from back on the client lounge.

Would love to purchase very expensive studio client monitors but it is not in the budget at the moment and I am trying to come up with reasons for not trying this solution.

Frankly, bringing in clients to hear the mix and say "sorry it's not so loud at the lounge position but if you sit in my chair you will hear the punch! iiiiiis not really a wow factor. Even if the quality is say 10% less(maybe I'm dreaming) than the expensive versions it still would have to have better than what i am offering now and I still get the chance to ask them into my seat if they want.

What do you think?

Magnus Johansson
      Participant

Personally I would stay away from such solution. I do have something similar in my "studio" but that's because it also acts like a rehearsal room.

Was you thinking of having those in your control room, studio/tracking room or lounge?

Lounge, I would go for some headphone system.
        Control room, add a sub with a bypass switch so you can impress with it on and you can mix with it anyway you like.
        Studio, if you like me, use it as a rehearsal room or if it's big enough to track a band... sure, it might be worth considering.

Anthony
        Participant

Thanks for the reply.
          I could consider a sub-woofer but I don't know if that would be enough. This solution is for our control room.

Magnus Johansson
          Participant

With the low frequencies cut off from the satellites (by the sub) you will be able to crank it louder alright. If enough.. I dont know. I have a cheap m-audio bx10 I think it's called. Unsure if it's available anymore. I think presonus tumbler is a good valuable option with bypass switch. I like that feature. I have a small control room and to be honest, I like it when non playing musicians hangs elsewhere. I can definately play loud enough with my setup. 5 inch tops. 10 inch sub but.. pretty small room.

Anthony
            Participant

Our control room is 6.8m wide x 4.3m deep with angled walls. Great diffusion and absorption.We definetly want our clients in the control room for the sound and experience.

Magnus Johansson
              Participant

That's bigger than mine for sure. Yeah it sounds to be a valid option. Let us know how it went. Still recommend a sub 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.