Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Understanding PCIe Interfaces

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi
      I have a Motu 828 Hybrid interface which I find ok. However as I'm using it on USB its has issues and to be completely honest its not as good as the TC Konnect 48 which it replaced. I am also using a PC with Windows 10.

I have been considering a PCIe audio interface to replace it (RME HDSPe AES or similar). Now my confusion arises with how do I plug a guitar into these cards?

Is there a specific break out box, I know RME has BOB 32 but is there any other way I can connect to these cards.

Thanks in Advance

Nick D.
      Participant

The RME HDSP is just a sound card, you will need preamps and AD/DA converters of some sort. There is benefits to going this route, such as this card can never be outgrown. I have mine for 6 years and bought it used. it also allows you to buy preamps and converters as you need them or your budget increases. the down side is obviously you have to buy everything separately as this is not a typical audio interface. if you have preamps already then you just need converters. On the cheap side the Behringer ADA8000? I think has good converters, although im not a fan of the preamps, but the newer ones may have the "Midas designed" ones. This will at least get you started. The downside is that this card only does 24 channels on ADAT at 48K so if you want higher sample rates, you will lose half of your channel count and need an additional card. if you have a bunch of outboard gear its really nice to have all the I/O available for patching, compared to an interface that may only have a couple available outputs.

Anonymous

Thank you, its a bit confusing really. I'm waiting on Clarett Thunderbolt support on W10, I may just be better waiting for that, rather than reinventing the wheel.

I'm not that heavy a user so the amount of io is probably over kill, but as USB isn't as reliable as my old Firewire card was (New PC with no PCI) i'll order a PCIe card and try that as a stop gap.

You guidance has given me a insert into the technology so I finally have a grabhold to work from.

Thank you very very much

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.