Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Starting from scratch (Help)

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jeff kosta
    Participant

Hi everyone, I am a new member as of today. I have played drums most of my life but I have no experience setting up my first home studio.
      I have finished out a outside cottage for my studio and putting up
      Acoustic treatments to get a good room sound. But I have no recording gear except my MacBook Pro,2-sm 57s from my gigging bag and a Rode
      NTI. I want to track Drums and guitar and bass. This is my equipment list that I researched but I’m not sure if it’s the way to go. Any advice would be so appreciated. Focusrite 8x interface, overheads
      I am totally confused what’s right I was thinking AKG213 pair, and the AKG CLIP ON TOM MICS, D112 kick, 57 snare, 57HH. As far as DAW Logic Pro X or Pro Tools? See I don’t even have a DAW yet.
      Thanks!!

Guido tum Suden
      Keymaster

Hi Jeff,
        welcome.
        I fear you have to be a bit more specific. Some questions:
        I guess you are planning to have a home studio? (Budget related questions 😉
        Are you going to make professional recordings for other artists?
        Just recording drums, bass and guitar?
        Any songwriting?

You can find a lot of videos on how to record drums with a different number of mics.
        As soon as you need more than 8 mics, you will probably need a second interface.

I've got a Focurite. You can't go wrong there. You'll want an interface with 8 analog inputs. Which one depends on your budget. Of course other companies make excellent interfaces as well.
        Your interface should have an ADAT in- and output so you can link it with another one in the future.
        Recent interfaces sometimes use ethernet for that (like MOTU) but I think the standard is not yet set.
        If your budget is very low, look for the Tascam with 12 inputs for recording drums.

I recently bought a complete mic set for drums from Lewitt. They are really good, especially the overheads and the kick mic. Remember you can get a huge discount if you are a PLAP member.
        Here's a link: https://www.lewitt-audio.com/microphones/dtp-percussion/dtp-beat-kit-pro-7

AS for a DAW. I use Logic but I do so for almost 30 years. I guess it's the number one to go when you are a songwriter. You get ProTools if you are going to work with musicians and other studios and exchange songs.
        Otherwise I would say the old ones (ProTools, Logic, Cubase) are still very good but also have a lot of problems. Would I start today I would probably go with Studio One.

You see, you have to be very specific with your questions. But ask away, we'll answer.

Guido

jeff kosta
        Participant

Hey Guido,
          Thanks for your help! I understand
          I wasn’t very clear with my questions.
          I did look into Studio One, it looks
          Very nice and seems to have some shortcuts
          That might make things a bit easier to get started.
          Does it matter what DAW you use to be compatible
          With downloading the mixes from warrens projects.
          I will check out the Lewitt mic package.
          Guido, I’m a 56 year old guy that’s
          Played in bands most of my life, and done a bit of recording
          Drums in studios in my younger years.
          I have a real passion to learn mixing
          And recording in my own first time
          Studio, and am exited to be a member
          And learn from Warren and all of
          And from all of you!
          Cheers

Guido tum Suden
          Keymaster

Hi Jeff,

could you tell us what kind of mac you have (like MacBook Pro (early 2009) from the About my Mac menu)?

It would also help to now if you want to go low, mid or high budget, low being the typical beginner's home studio and high the really expensive studio stuff. All of them can be used to make records, where a mid range 8 channel audio converter is around 1000 $.

It doesn't matter at all which DAW you use since you will put each file on a track on bar one and they will align perfectly and you can start mixing.

Cheers
            Guido

Tres Seaver
            Participant

Jeff, welcome aboard!

I would be tempted to get my feet wet with what you have already. E.g., given the Macbook, you could use Garageband as your DAW. Find a cheap used 4-input USB audio interface, which should run you under USD 200 used (check out reverb.com for deals).

You can then try recording your drums with the Rode as a mono overhead and the SM-57s on snare (it is the classic go-to for snare) and the kick. After all, Warren showed us that Van Halen used 57s for almost everything, including the only kick mic!.

The 57s should be fine for recording guitar amps, and your bass can initially go directly into one of the preamps on your interface. You could also plug electric guitars directly into the interface preamps, and use GB's amp modeling (they have bass amp models too).

Once you've worked with those mics a while, you can decide how many more you want for your drumkit, which will also dictate how many inputs you need on an upgraded interface.

jeff kosta
              Participant

Hi Trey,
                Thanks for the help! It makes sense
                To get going and use the mics I have
                And keep it simple. I’m looking
                Foreword to getting things up and running.
                Thanks again!

Anonymous

Maybe a bit too late to answer this topic, but watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUPjzUWcnAo

One mic, one pre-amp/CL and an amazing drummer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.