Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing SSL EQ into compression or compression into EQ

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by terje_t.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    terje_t
    Participant

Hi all!

I've heard Warren talk about this on some YouTube videos and on here but now I've confused myself and can't remember which order he preferred on the SSL? I'd like to try to experiment with it myself.

If anyone, or Warren himself, could chime in with the reasoning behind the order too it'd be much appreciated! ๐Ÿ™‚

David Tantama
      Participant

For me, I always do EQ into Comp (I remember it as Eric Clapton = EC = EQ into Comp) ๐Ÿ™‚
        But sometimes, if I feel that it still misses something, I might add EQ again after the Comp to compensate some annoying frequencies or even double Comp.

But my first attempt will always be EQ into Comp, just a preference.

Patrick Bonier

I would think that it would be like any combination of EQ & Compression. If there is an annoying frequency that the compressor brings out, you would probably want to cut that before compression. My go to is EQ first, but I change it around if it isn't sounding good.

James Gorman
          Participant

Warren talks about EQ (boost) -> compression on his desk for snare and guitar to give it spank. This way you're pushing up frequencies you want, then distorting them (in a good way!) by driving them harder into the compressor. It's actually pretty subtle but I've done something I assume is like this using the bx_console E.

But he's also usually doing something like EQ -> Comp -> deesser -> EQ -> Comp -> Comp -> deesser -> EQ -> etc... but only doing a little bit, so it is in that context.

terje_t
            Participant

Thank you all! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks, James, thatโ€™s what I was wondering about. Iโ€™ll experiment a bit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.