Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk RODE K2 tube mic. Confused re- warming up the tube/valve.

• This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by John Gleason.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Francis Abiuso
    Participant

If there was any discussion regarding this topic, redirect me thanks in advance.

recently purchased a rodek2 tube mic, very exciting for me, never used anything with a tube in it another than the inside of my bicycle wheels.

This mic has its own external power amp box with the 48 phantom power booster already activated within.

Anyway to the point- before recording vocal i turn on the amp/mic and leave it to warm up the tube for around 30 minutes. Then i start recording. The session lasts for well over an hour and i do multiple tracks, takes and re-do stuff ups, false starts etc.

The last take i capture is way different to the first, warmer and sweeter by a truckload. It makes the first takes and beyond sound thin, harsh, dry.

So my question is: is the new mic/tube being “broken in” not by the length of the time i leave the amp on to warm it up but more by the reality of singing through it, making the tube work so to speak.

I hope i have missed something super simple in using this mic.

I am 80% sure i was the same distance and sort of in the same position away from
      the cardioid pattern. Is the difference in takes because this mic is unforgiving with a less than static performer?

Ugh.

Signed:

General Incompetence.

• This topic was modified 6 years ago by Francis Abiuso. Reason: Reduced self flogging to acceptable levels
      John Gleason
      Participant

Francis,

I also have a Rode K2 which I purchased used a few years back (so VERY broken-in). Great on vocals. The only thought that comes to mind in your situation (a 30-minute warm-up seems like it should be enough) is that you might be mounting the mic upright (which allows the tube to heat the entire microphone inside) whereas the more common mounting of tube mics is upside down (so the tube inside is on top, drawing the heat out). Give it a try and see if this helps. After that, I would suggest a call to Rode.

John

Francis Abiuso
        Participant

Thanks John, I am in awe of this community! I have been researching my questions on so many forums and found heaps of arguments, insults, hostility etc.
          While I was able to weed out the helpful info and opinions (some sites berate to poster for having an opinion without fully testing the question providing evidence etc, which is fine if you are an advanced audio engineer and know how to do this and decipher the results, anyway, in all my reading last night not ONE comment regarding how the mic is mounted...so thanks for sharing an avenue to head down and try!

Much appreciated

And yes I have only used the mic in the upright position.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Francis Abiuso.
          John Gleason
          Participant

Warren always emphasizes PLAPA as a safe place to share and learn, without all the snark and abuse often found on on-line forums. You should feel free to post any questions here that you may have -- the forum members may not always have an answer for you but any responses will be supportive and respectful. We've all been there!

I'm a little surprised that other forums didn't give you the upside-down mounting suggestion -- I thought that was well-known. Besides, upside-down mounting looks so cool! Ha, Ha!

'Hope it helps,

John

Francis Abiuso
            Participant

Thanks jg!

Yes i have turned the mic upside
              Down inside the shock mount
              And it looks tres cool like a slam
              Dunked mic!

I will let you know the results soon

James Gorman
              Participant

Can second John's comments (especially the upside down, you'll get a much more stable response through a session that way!).

The only thing to add is there is warm up _and_ burn in. Burn in is how long a mic (or other hardware) has to be run before it is stable. Both the capsule and the tubes will have a burn in time. It looks like (from their website) that Rode burn in their tubes during the selection process. Given that you'd assume a capsule burn in, but maybe you need to leave it powered on for a day or so to be sure.

Francis Abiuso
                Participant

Thanks James, I did the upside down mounting last night let the mic warm up for 30 mins, and recorded a heap of vocals. The session went for two hours and I was able to hear the variables/instabilities again. i am going to try the extended burn in and if i am still getting warbles wobbles and fluctuations between warmth and cold i will give the rode support team a call.

Thanks guys for taking the time to share your valued experience, i’m Solving this way quicker now after getting some good directions. Cheers!

James Gorman
                  Participant

Sounds like a good plan Francis. Happy to help.

Francis Abiuso
                    Participant

Hi chaps, powered up the mic, left on for 12 hours, (upside down) recorded some vocals and it all sounded awesome, turned it all off.
                      Next day I turned on the mic for 30 mins and recorded more out of tune vocals, the results are great, really couldn't spot any difference from the previous session.

Absence of any yucky stuff that I heard and tracked previous to my first post here!

Serious thanks, I hope down the track I can help others like you guys do.

off to fire up my beautiful rode k2.

😀

John Gleason
                      Participant

Great, Francis! 'Glad it wasn't something more serious. Enjoy your new mic!

John

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.