• This topic has 15 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Sean Johnson.
Viewing 4 posts - 13 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    James Gorman
    Participant

Re your room, my next audio purchase will be IK ARC. I'm sure I've got some weird stuff going on too. I end up doing 50/50 monitors and headphones because I don't quite trust my room.

Pedro Pitta Groz
      Participant

Impressive document of your mix and great review on mine. That is a talent itself. I have so many freeze tracks so the thing plays and I can keep on working that at the end it is difficult to go and see what I have done. Probably I am using too much process per se. For certain the lack of processing power or my abuse of processing is really getting in the way of workflow. And it happens usually when the thing starts to form and you want to go for the fun. It is to much for both sides of the brain.
        I have my room as treated, all diy, as it can be, but still not a good room. Much better then 3 years ago that I had no room. It is just a bad shape. It is 6 mt long but the side walls are 2 mt apart. One of those walls is solid concrete half mt thick and the other is a brick 10 cm thick wall.
        I use some room correction too. I am using a free software called Eq Wizard that is a very powerful acoustic measurement tool that also generates filters to use with equalizers and impulse responses. I am making my correction thru convolution with ReaVerb. It helps but the decay time at the offending frequencies will still be the same. And SBIR problems will always be there too.
        I am considering the Sonarworks Reference 4 as it claims to be system wide and that is something that I have been missing. So I can hear youtube, tutorials, your mixes, etc, with the same sound I mix.

James Gorman
        Participant

Thanks Pedro. That'll be the years at Uni and doing software architecture 🙂

I'm running pretty hot, 79 channels, 173 effects. It's only causing trouble if I mess with the routing, but this includes mutes! For me it's a lot of plugins doing a tiny bit each. Except 75% of them have analogue modelling so eat up the CPU.

Reference 4 was my other choice, may still go with it, a lot will come down to price. I'm luck my room is big, carpeted wood floors and brick wals, but I'm set of asymmetrically and can't easily treat it. But yours sounds like a real bunker. I don't think my desk would fit in!

Sean Johnson
          Participant

Good luck to those of you who submitted. I got as far as a rough mix, but was working on so many other mixes I didn't get back to it in time to enter.

Viewing 4 posts - 13 through 16 (of 16 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.