Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Preparing to mix

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Andrew Byrne.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Erik Duijs
    Participant

Hello fellow PLAP-ers πŸ™‚

So once you've imported your tracks, what is typically your workflow before you actually start mixing?

For me it's kind of like this now (mixing ITB):
      1) Press play and go through the channels to know for sure what's what.
      2) Maybe rename the tracks if the original names seem a bit counter-intuitive
      3) Put the tracks in order in a way that seems logical to me. Kick-in, kick-out, snare-top, snare-bottom, etc, that kind of thing.
      4) Colour-code the tracks
      5) Create subgroups and route the tracks there (Drums, Bass, Guitars, Vocals, etc)
      6) Colour-code the subgroups consistently with the tracks
      7) Put the track input levels to something usable when needed (something like -18dB), and I usually do that per group of tracks.
      8) Put some plugins on the master that I always end up using later on (in my case Voxengo SPAN and Youlean Loudness Meter, both free and awesome)
      9) Save the project (this would be my 'full reset' save)
      10) Save it again under another name and start mixing from there.

This works for me, but that's quite some boring work before getting to the fun part!
      So how do you work when you start a mix?

Cheers,
      Erik

• This topic was modified 5 years ago by Erik Duijs.
      Guido tum Suden
      Keymaster

Hi Erik,

just like I do it, except one thing.
        My subgroups are already there because I'm using a template. Okay, some subgroups are not used every time, say, a song doesn't have acoustic guitars, but it saves so much time, I rather have a few prepared in advance busses too much.
        The most time saving part of the template are the effect groups, one for delays, one for reverbs and one for extra vocal processing. Typical plugins are already installed, some outlive the song, some are changed.

These are:

Delays
        – Slap
        – Short
        – Long
        – Ping Pong

Reverbs
        – Drum Room
        – Snare
        – Toms
        – Room
        – Plate
        – Hall
        – Spring

Vocals
        – Exciter
        – Distortion
        – 8va
        – 8vb
        – Breath Sound from Vocoder
        – Microshifter (H3000 Effect)

Guido

Martin Hendriks
        Participant

Same with me. And I also setup a template like Guido. The only thing that might be different is that every recording I do I will load immediately into my DAW and start mixing that part right away. In that way the mix is evolving and I can enjoy this process. I don't have any time pressure so maybe this is not the most effective way for everyone. But it's my way. πŸ˜‰

Erik Duijs
          Participant

Ah yes, I should get into creating my own templates πŸ™‚
            I always kind of ignored the built ones since they seemed so cluttered with 'stuff' and subsequently I kind of forgot about them...
            But yeah, it makes perfect sense to make your own!

Cheers,
            Erik

Erik Duijs
            Participant

Oh, and when I'm recording I'm also kind of starting the mix while I go along; I kind of started this topic with mixing finished multitracks in mind.
              But I'm regularly creating new tracks with my rapping buddy, and we use the opportunity of getting together to immediately start recording our ideas. And then it works for us to mix while we go along, which will give us new ideas etc; kind of a feedback loop πŸ™‚
              But then when the recording is done, the project can be kind of a mess of quick ad-hoc mixing and recording decisions, so I often end up spending some time reorganizing the project to do a 'proper mix', which will then often lead to recording some more stuff (or re-recording stuff), etc, etc.
              I'm sure there are more efficient ways of doing things, but I also kind of enjoy this organic process when recording our own stuff.

Cheers,
              Erik

Martin Hendriks
              Participant

In the end the most important thing is the finish product. So when you're organized and not inspired that will not be cool. Better messy and unorganized and have something to be really proud off. You will know the best way to work. Cheerz again!

Andrew Byrne
                Participant

Templates help out immensely when starting a mix, I use protools and the import session data is great. I have basically created a session with any track I can ever think I'll ever need, all routed to their proper aux tracks, all my reverbs, delays, paralell chains, VCA's. All my busses are labeled and I have a load spare just in case I need them. But basically I create a new session and import the audio tracks for it, Then I open the import session data dialogue and import the data into my new session. Hard to explain in detail, but if you are a protools user look it up on youtube. It was the best thing I ever did. Creating my template session did take me hours and is constantly being refined but its such a timesaver when setting up a mixing session.
                  Hope this helps,
                  Andrew

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.