Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Parallel Mixing techniques

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by chester oszustowicz.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    chester oszustowicz
    Participant

Hey Guys curious as to what Parallel Mixing techniques you guys are using If any.
      I use It a lot for Eq and compressing for power. I also find I use a lot less individual processing on elements in the mix. Don't know if this is over kill or not so:

Ill go first: (FYI A lot of this I learned at MWTM ClA And Trial and error)

I send all my drums to a Neve 33609 style Comp in different amounts 2:1 to 4:1 6-12 db of compression Depending
      Send all my drums to Api 550B Eqs for bringing up top and bottom. I find i can make the kit brighter without totally changing the character of the kit.
      Kick, SNR, Bass also Go to a mono Ridge Farm Boiler It really gels Those 3 elements together nicely (Stole that from Greg Fiddleman Mixing Metallica Sound on Sound Although He used a different type of Limiter)

What ended up happening here was I hit a wall where my drums where slamming (Or what i think is slamming 🙂 then my instruments And vocals were a little weak so I then evolved adding this

Send all mid range instruments To api 2500 2:1 to 4:1 2-12 db of compression Depending On Program material
      Send all mid range instruments to A tube style Eq Im using an aDesign hammer eq.

Vocals I have a similar setup.

I usually bring these Parallel Secondary's in at the end right before automation.

I find that when Im not careful too much cooks the soup and for non Radio Rock Modern sound it over-kills it a little or a lot lol.

Look forward in hearing what you guys have going on. Are you using any?
      Distortion?
      Vocals?
      guitars?
      Drums?
      Etc

James Gorman
      Participant

Aside from something like this and the mix knob in Reaper (or a lot of compressors plugins now) I sometimes use a parallel inline technique. In this there's no parallel buss, just the effects chain, with a pair of compressors routed in parallel.

I've used this in Tracktion, Reaper, and Mixbus, which all have good channel routing. What you do (for stereo) is:

- pre-compression effects
        - duplicate channel 1(L) -> channel 3 and channel 2(R) -> channel 4
        - attack compressor on channel 1/2
        - this guy is looking to shape the feel of the attack, so 20-50ms attack, release to suit, hard-ish knee, 1-5 dB down, not smashing it
        - decay compressor on 3/4
        - this guy is the equivalent of the parallel buss. 0ms attack, <50ms release, soft knee, 10-20 dB down. Crush to bring up the tails of things
        - blend 1/2 and 3/4 back to 1/2
        - post compression effects

I mostly used on this acoustic guitar and vocals, basically as a transient designer to shape the attack and decay.

I haven't done this for a while, but found that it made it simpler to mix. Once I got my vibe (<- that's for you Warren ;-)) and had the track sitting where I wanted it, there was no need to muck about with thinking about the EQ on multiple tracks and their blend later on. On the other hand it does hide away a lot of what it's doing, albeit just for a pair of compressors.

Viv Paton
        Participant

I do the Scheps 'rear buss' thing with dual mono 1176s. Also I do a Kick/Snare or a Kick/Snare/Bass crush, an 'other drums' lighter crush and an all drums crush. Not all on, though always some kind of rear buss. Might do parrallel distortion too, if I felt something needed a bit of a kick.

chester oszustowicz
          Participant

cool thanks guys

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.