Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Competitions (Mixing, Songwriting, etc.) 'One Daw to Rule Them All' March Mixing Challenge

• This topic has 29 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Sean Johnson.
Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Kip
    Participant

also i just thought if we get a very pop oriented britney style or punk metal this would be awkward.. but i bet if toby shot warren a message about what we are doing he could give toby a heads up as he is picking our assignments to sorta maximize the challenge?
      toby could pick the challenge better suited

Ralph Dick

Hi Kip,

Mixbus32c does have plugins built-in but you have to pay for the unlock key or if you got in a bundle like I did you get everything unlocked.
        This covers most things required.

Hope this helps,

Ralph.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Ralph Dick.
        Tobi
        Keymaster

Kiptain Kirk!

I'd been thinking along similar lines. Take a classic album, like 'Darkside of the Moon'. Create a generic Plugin list 'by type' based on their Studio Setup. So, I thiiiink they used an EMT 140 plate on Darkside. So we say, okay, you can use a plate verb plugin. They used Fairchilds (maybe?) so you can use a Fairchild style compressor. Same number of channels to mix etc etc...

We then use that setup to mix that month's multitrack.

The downside of that idea, is.. will the multitrack suit the set up. We could ask Warren to pick something subtle in advance or we could just go with the flow. In a way the challenge would be more interesting with the 'wrong track'. đŸ˜‰

---

The more ambitious version of that idea is.. we have a lot of musicians in the Academy. Why not track, mix and master a classic album within the Academy?

This would have to be a seperate idea and a more long term project. I'm up for it. I'd need some 'co-producers' to help oversee the different areas of the production.

And with something that involved. I'd be looking to create an Album + Remix / Alternate Versions Album to release via Distrokid. Though we have to factor the costs for that : $10 per track per year. Assume we have a ten track album + 10 remixes = $200 dollars per year. You need a little over 50,000 streams per year on Spotify to just break even on the outlay. Yikes! That's 'do-able', buuuut Spotify is a cruel mistress. Getting onto those playlists can be a soul destroying experience...

https://distrokid.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1329164-can-i-upload-cover-songs-

---

Tobi
          Keymaster

Thanks for the info Ralph!

Kip
            Participant

sorry guys i couldnt get back in the website for a while

darkside we looking at q 16 track tape machine,tg12345 desk...you dont have to use the specific plugins just only use an eq that has similar moves...how many fairchilds did they have? pultecs? la2a's ect...in the real world guys would bounce down and commit to free up hardware
              when i was at 8 track stage i had 2 alesis 3530 and a mackie mixer kick snare vocals bass all mono channel. 2 stereo guitars 2 stereo overheads toms keys everything else. 1 3630 did the kick and snare. the other on the output of the mixer into a phillips cd burner

...i didnt know any better... thats kinda my idea here just how would we have done it given these tools

toby i think you are being a respected member and explaining warren would be able to give you heads up

i was reading last night about reverbs in the eighty's and how studios only had so many boxes or chambers so sometimes there were 13 completely different types on a record

i suck at saying things this way

Tobi
              Keymaster

Quote : Abbey Road’s innovative solid state TG12345 desk was the heart of the recording process, as well as the ever-reliable Studer A80 tape machines (at this point they were able to cope with a whopping 16 tracks), which created all of the delays on the album. Also used was a single EMT plate reverb and Fairchild limiters for vocals, bass and general mixing.

Abbey Road’s Curvebender EQ came in useful too, and was used for additional track equalisation. Neumann’s U47, 67 and 87 microphones were used on Dark Side, having previously being used on The Beatles recordings. Gilmour approached his modified black Fender Stratocaster in an expressive and illustrative way throughout the record.

http://www.musictech.net/2015/06/landmark-productions-pink-floyd-the-dark-side-of-the-moon/

Ionone Bangcas
                Participant

Hi Toby,

Is the DAW-only challenge for the next set of multi-tracks/lesson? Or can we use Prom Dress?

Cheers!

Ionone

Arthur Labus

Yes, it is mentioned for March track. We (still) have a challenge for "Prom Dress" - with a bunch of free plugins only.
                    https://www.producelikeapro.com/forums/topic/february-multitrack-freeware-mixing-challenge/

Tobi
                    Keymaster

Yep the DAW only challenge is for March's Multitrack. The freeware challenge for Febs.

Better if we stick to the same song for each challenge. Easier to compare notes that way. March multitracks should be up on Wednesday.

Tobi.

Ionone Bangcas
                      Participant

Thanks Arthur and Toby!

Michael B
                        Participant

I think I already know the answer to this but would it be against the spirit of the challenge if we used metering outside of our DAW? Then only adjust using DAW included tools. This could be checking against a reference or looking at the mix in a favorite meter or plot etc.

Curious what you all think. Cheers. Michael B

Tobi
                          Keymaster

Metering? I don't think it matters tooo much. It's not a 'processing' effect.

Tobi.

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 30 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.