Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Competitions (Mixing, Songwriting, etc.) 'One Daw to Rule Them All' March Mixing Challenge

• This topic has 29 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Sean Johnson.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Tobi
    Keymaster

Hello Kiddies!

For this month's mixing challenge, we're gonna get to know our DAWs better. We're going to mix using only the plugins that came with you DAW.

This Includes :

A) Included in the original purchase price
      And
      B) Part of your DAW's architecture

It excludes :

1. Additional downloads or add ons
      2. Third party software bundled in with your DAW
      3. Software that is part of external hardware eg. Audio Interfaces / PCI cards

*The purpose of the exercise is to get to know your core stock plugins better. The more stringently you adhere to that, the more you'll learn.

--

Posting Your Track for Feedback

Post as you would normally with a Monthly PLAPA mix
      Use the following Title Format : DAW ONLY MIXING CHALLENGE 'Song Title' YOUR NAME
      In your description again say that you're doing the DAW ONLY CHALLENGE and which DAW you used.
      Include a brief description about mixing with the plugins, thoughts, problems, lessons learned etc.

--

Post your mix or a link to your forum post here.

*The idea of doing the challenge with the month's multitracks is so we can get feedback from Warren too, and other PLAPA members learn from our experience. However, if you would prefer to do a 'standard mix' as well for feedback. Please make it clear that your challenge mix is not for feedback, by writing 'NOT FOR FEEDBACK' in big letters a lot. 😉

Once again, the prize? The greatest prize of them all ..braggin' rights! 😉

• This topic was modified 6 years ago by Tobi.
      • This topic was modified 6 years ago by Tobi.
      Rich Zei
      Participant

Toby,
        Small issue. MixBus (my DAW of choice) has no stock plugins. I have Channel EQ and Dynamics, but no Verb/Delay efx.

Tobi
        Keymaster

You see I would actually have a go at mixing with that - sounds like acres of fun! ..probably stuff my mix up something chronic - but I'd learn loads!

However, if you want to use the freeware delay and reverb from the previous challenge - have at it! \

Tobi.

Tobi
          Keymaster

In fact that might be the next challenge EQ and Dynamics! Haha! 1 EQ, 1 compressor, 1 Limiter - BOOOOM! April Challenge Sorted 🙂

Arthur Labus

"NOT FOR FEEDBACK" - LOL, a bit too late for me 🙁

Rich Zei
              Participant

in that case, good thing the dynamics are built in to every channel/bus and the 2bus in MixBus!!

Thanks for the dispensation, might not need them but good to know I can.

Rich Zei
                Participant

I assume we could also have the track/mix reviewed couldn't we?

EDIT: Disregard....

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Rich Zei.
                  Kip
                  Participant

[quote quote=38776]"NOT FOR FEEDBACK" - LOL, a bit too late for me ?[/quote]

hmm i really liked the challenge also for feedback...i think maybe i use the academy for different ways than others do
                    these challenges are like a master class in mixing
                    i wish there was the same thing for our personal mixes that people could get together on

Arthur Labus

Hey Kip, i just submitted my "regular" version for Feedback Friday and something went wrong. Warren reviewed the free plugin version. That's my story.

We could post the challenge mixes in THIS thread only.

Tobi
                      Keymaster

I'm with Kip on this.. the Academy is very much a place for me to make my mistakes now.. want to maximize my learning experience..

Tobi
                        Keymaster

Personally I like having my mixed reviewed by Warren. I think if people want their Challenge Mixes for Feedback, then can be. If you don't, then just mark it not for feedback.

Kip
                          Participant

toby i have an idea for a challenge this year i dont know if its ok to talk about in this thread ?...but take a classic album and recreate the studio and use the same tools they did be it 4 track tape and commit and bounce..use only a plate verb or chamber that that existed in that time frame...example abbey road has 4 140 plates right now so even era of mono could factor in or the seventy's...first 2 inch machines...i think black Sabbath 1st record was 2 8 tracks linked
                            sorta pretend we are tracking then bounce the tracks to the limitations we would have to been bound to?
                            this would take us some research but man this could be a great experience
                            we could even take it on a 3 stage class a decade a month?
                            what do you think

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 30 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.