Academy Dashboard Forum 2021 - Productions 2021 - Apr Nothing Better

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by Lem Meador.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Herwig Probst
    Participant

Hi all 🙂

This is my first post in the academy. I started mixing one year ago (during the first lockdown) as it was the wish of my lovely wife to have an own home recording studio. I started completely by zero - but I love it 🙂 The song "Nothing Better" was written by my wife about 10 years ago. It's a singer-songwriter genre. Luckily we could organise the old multitracks from a recording 8 years ago. So for me it was the first time to mix a recorded drum set and try to handle this mistry 😉

Would be very happy to get feedback from this amazing community.

Here's the link to the song:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1h0t5p69hzdpls/Nothing%20Better%20v3.mp3?dl=0

cheers
    Herwig

Lem Meador

Herwig, first, my apologies. Sorry I haven’t gotten back to you sooner. I hope you have  received some feedback already. Congratulations on joining the Academy. Sounds like you are progressing along well with meeting your goal of getting into creating music. I took a listen to your track and have some ideas for you to explore. First of all, you are well on your way. You got everything balanced and carved out a bit of space for everything. Now you can take it to the next level, pretty easily. Create a new version of your mix in your DAW. Depending on your DAW, it might be a “Save As” command, or a “duplicate” or a “alt mix” kind of command. Once you do that, start exploring the far left and far right space in the mix. For example, it sounds like a high hat plays a prominent role in the song. Shift that hat either left or right, depending on whether you normally think about drums from the player’s perspective or the audience perspective. There is no right or wrong, just personal taste. The majority of music is audience perspective, but it doesn’t make sense to me that way, so I mix drummer’s perspective, because I have a kit in my studio and I sit behind it regularly. Either way, the important thing is to make sure the kit appears in the song with a consistent layout. If you put the hats on the left, then the floor tom goes on the right, for example. Also, does this mix have overhead mics for the cymbals? If so, push those hard left and right. And push that accordion left or right - I’d probably push it the opposite direction of wherever you end up putting the hats. See what else you can separate out of the middle. Then rebalance everything and I think you will find the song more engaging. Great job diving in! You are well on your way to great mixes.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Produce Like A Pro

Copyright 2019 | Produce Like A Pro